Tap Stuck To Basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently bought new taps for the bathroom as the old ones leaked and are years old 15+ would be my guess. I have managed to undo the back nut that seemed to have been fixed on with adhesive of some kind(which was a long task in itself), then I think yes I can finally fit the new tap at last and then I find the tap won't come off the basin I thought as the tap has been on for years it probably just needs some WD40 and a couple of knocks with a hammer from underneath, but it's still not budgeing. I'm starting to think it is set on a bed of adhesive. How can I remove the tap without damaging the basin? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If silicone sealant has been used then it can be remarkably sticky!

Try twisting the tap rather than pulling/pushing.

If silicone sealant has been used then it can be remarkably sticky!

Try twisting the tap rather than pulling/pushing.
Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it's silicone. I can't twist the tap even with the back nut off, it remains solid to the basin no movement at all.

Sounds like its set in the old style Plumbers Mait (popular about 20 years ago) to stop the tap from moving .

try getting under sink unit and chip around the tap tail with a sharp screw driver once you have loosened the tap tail the tap should come out and make it easier to remove the remainder of Plumbers Mait. or try a hacksaw blade under the top base of the tap and basin cut through the tail then attack it from the top,
take care you could end up needing a new basin.

Sponsored Links
Boiling hot water, get it nice and warm then tapping from below square on the tail with a hammer whilst levering from the top, if it's mate then it should soften enough.

Update, I've managed to fit a hacksaw blade under the rim of the tap and file out a lot of it on front side, bit more tricky doing it round the far side though as the tap is closer to the basin and their is no gap to fit the blade in. Heated the tail up with a blow torch, doesn't seem to help much , then I ran out of gas:( Will try boiling water on the top and see if that has any effect.I think it is set in yes, it comes off as a white powder from under the tap.

What I'm guessing is this basin has square tap holes, underneath it looks like their is a white square shape that is slightly different colour to the basin. I'm wondering if I could put the drill in low torque and drill around tap tail into the putty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back