Changing cement ridge into breathing ridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a video on using cemented ridge tiles and converting these over to a breathing ridge, but that is using the curved tiles which sit next to each other.

I have the angled ridge tiles which overlap each other and are cemented together at these points.

Do you know if this type of ridge tile can be used with these breathing systems. The lock together using small fixings holding each tile down, but i cant see how the interlocking ones can use the same system .

I need to get some ventilation into the ridge and i thought the easiest way was to adapt the ridge because i cannot fine any breathing V shaped ridge tiles. Hence looking at the modern breathing system where no cement is used.

Sponsored Links
You might want to consider if the problem you are trying to solve is actually a problem in the first place.

Well i need to get more ventilation into the roof as i am insulating with kingspan. It will be a full height attic room. BC has said i will need more ventilation and i have nothing at the moment.

So i have fitted circular vents at the front, but the rear needs breather slates as you cannot get air into the eaves section.

This leaves the ridge, so i thought the easiest solution was this breathing system for the ridge angled caps.

The ridge is really accessible as well. so no issue working on it. There is a flat dorma just below it, so access is good and safe.

Sponsored Links
OFV! (y)
Though it could be difficult to retrofit?
And, I've still seen recommendations for ridge ventilation for good cross flow in the OP's situation :)

Over Fascia Vent
Ventalating-a-roof-with-fascia-vents-768x647.jpg

It's only difficult to retro on a slate roof. He did say he is putting vent tiles on one side.
He can achieve better flow with ofv. There's a choice of sizes

You don't have breathable membrane then?

A quick look a the Marley catalogue and their capped angled ridges have no compatible dry ridge system

No it is the old felt . This flat conversion was done in 1965.

not one bit of insulation

the facia vents are hard to install plus it is slate.

so going for some breathing slates on the back lower down. I am cross battening the inside rear pitch to allow this whole area to breath properly. bc said this was easier than installing the breather trays.

I would have thought that a fulling insulated and unvented roof with sealed vapour barrier (ie warm roof) would be much easier than messing about trying to vent a roof that is almost impossible to vent properly.

I am going to seal it up pretty good but it still needs venting

I have spoken to roofing superstore and they sell the cromar universal kit which is what I need

Regarding over facia vents

I have had a look at these vents and wondered how difficult it will be to fit them. Will i need to remove all the lower slates ?

Can you just lift the slate and fit the vents that way ?

I need to remove all the guttering and replace anyway.

Still working out which is the best option for me.

The photo shows the top flat which i am working on. Access on the left side is good as i can work off a flat roof. The middle section is harder as it is a narrow fire escape. So this would be off a small ladder. The right section will need my tower scaffolding being built to get up to this height.

Attachments

• IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 58

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back