Changing double light switch to a single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I know this is probably old ground but I'm having trouble comparing the wiring diagrams I am finding online with what I can see inside my switches so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a current twin light switch and I want to remove one of the lights completely and hence replace with a single switch - so what I look inside the current switch I see this View media item 73669 and the new switch looks like this View media item 73670 (the former is dropped out of the current mount so upside down compared to the new one).

I am concluding that the blue and yellow wires are the ones I can see in the light fitting I want to keep but I don't know what connects to where on the new switch - not sure I want to trial and error wrongly with my electrics.

The new switch is an MK but the instructions aren't labelled like the switch so before I start experimenting i thought it worth asking for pointers.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well stick red into 1

And either blue or yellow (which ever u want to keep) into the other 1

Terminate the spare wire

Sponsored Links
Your new switch is an 'intermediate' used in the central position of three switches when all are used for the same light such as a stairwell.

No matter it can still be used (just more expensive).

You need the red (discard the link) in '1' (doesn't matter which) and either the blue OR yellow, whichever works the light you are keeping, in the other '1'.
Terminate the unused wire in a connector block and position safely.

More importantly, what will happen to the wires at the light you are removing?
Please post a picture of the wires at this light and we may be able to see how to make them safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back