Adding a PIR and a double switch to an existing light/switch

24 May 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I've been trying to find a previous thread to help me on this but failed!

I currently have a single light switch in my garage to operate a fluorescent tube, wired with a twin (blue and brown) and earth. I want to add an external PIR light and swap the single switch to a double so that I can operate the lights independently. I have wall-mounted the PIR and run a twin (red and black) and earth cable back to the new switch, which has 2 common, 2 x L1 and 2 x L2 connections.

Can anyone help me with the wiring as the only light I can get to work is the inside fluorescent one!

Sponsored Links
firstly you should be using the new colours if that's what you already have in there...

do you have live and neutral at the switch? this would need 2 cables coming in both with brown, blue and earth wires in them.

if you do us a picture of inside the switch we will advise further..

please note that the installation of outside lights is notifiable under Part P of the building regulation..
Thanks for the quick reply.

I only have one cable coming into the original switch, with brown, blue and earth wires.

I should have said I am actually replacing a damaged PIR with a new one, but this time am fitting a double switch to replace a very dodgy 3 pin plug that the previous home-owner had used to power the PIR! As this is not a new installation, I was going to keep the same red/black wiring that was used on the 3 pin plug, but will change it to brown/blue no problem.

Anyway, here are pictures of the original switch showing the current wiring, and the new one that I want to replace it with:

View media item 15739
View media item 15740
I appreciate your comments re Part P regs, but my sources tell me, and I quote.....

"You do not need to notify the Local Authority if you do minor electrical work such as: adding lights to an outdoor wall on an existing circuit, providing there are no exposed connections and the circuit is not extended from a kitchen/bathroom".......

On this basis, I believe it does not need to be notified.

Look foward to hearing from you re the wiring!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local