changing from 10mm to 15mm pipework?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a towel radiator & started fitting it in the bathroom where the old radiator was hung.i came across the problem of the old 10mm pipework & the new radiator taps being 15mm.i have now come to a standstill(which annoyed the wife).could anybody tell me how i would go about changing the old 10mm size to fit the bigger 15mm.
also where would i find the stop cock to switch the water off for the radiators before i cut the pipes?.would i be the stopcock for the taps on the sink etc.
sorry if this sounds a daft question but changing pipe sizes is new to me
badger

Sponsored Links
Two 10mmX 15mm reducers should do the trick along with a few other basic fittings

where would i find the stop cock to switch the water off for the radiators before i cut the pipes?
Just the fact that you had to ask that one leads me to believe you will have problems DIYing this job.

Read up on it first or watch someone else doing it

Use reducing 10mm x 15mm sets at Vvs

What kind of system you got fitted unvented /vented

Sounds like a long weekend if you try it .

know its a DIY forum but a wee bit o knowledge goes a long way.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the replies. it's just the reducing bit that threw me. like i said i had the reducers but no spare 10mm pipe to see how they work.
never had to turn radiators off at stopcock before for pipework.
not to worry.
thanks for all the answers.
merry christmas one & all
:LOL:
badger

No the stopcock wont turn off the water (as such)

You could fit reducing olives into the radiator valves as this is easy to solve the size problem

Im a bit worried also that you dont know how to turn off the water,Its not straight forward

There are a few different systems you may have,some require a drain down of the heating system,some are easier to do.
But without the knowledge of how to do yours you are heading for disaster

Sorry to sound harsh but I have been called out to flooded houses where the wife has called because the husband has tried plumbing and cant get to the phone,coz he has his hand over the leaking pipe

Hi

I really suggest you switch off the boiler and drain the system, im also a fellow diyer and if you intend to solder the reducer or take off the valves then please please please drain the system, if you dont then you could face sitting with your thumb pressed tightly on top of the pipe untill a plumber comes round. It is really important you state what sort of system u have i.e boiler cylinder unvented vented so that some of the pros can post suggestions and tell you what u need to do.

good luck

just a note to thank everyone who gave me the answers to the problems i had fitting the heated towel rail .i got it done today(after sorting the draining process out). neighbours must of wondered what i was up to at 6.30am with all the knocking & banging & gurgling going on lol.i got it all done but bleeding the pump baffled me for an hour or two.then sorted it just by wondering what the screw on the front of pump done.
hey presto! finished.
so "THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR THE HELP". i'll know what i'm doing next time lol.
colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back