Changing from an electric to a gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :D

I wondered if anyone could please let me know how easy it would be for a Corgi chap to connect up a new gas hob in my kitchen. I currently have an electric hob but am pondering the idea of changing to gas.

I have a gas combination boiler in the kitchen which is about two metres away from where I would like the hob situated.

Does anyone know if it would simply require a length of pipe from where the gas feed to the boiler comers in or am I being naive and it is in fact a much larger job?

Sponsored Links
They gas engineer can take a feed from the gas pipe supplying the boiler, the tricky bit could be routing it, depending whether they have access beneath the floor or can be clipped safely along the wall or even branch from the external supply from the meter.
But if you go on the plumbing and heating forum, there will be loads of gas engineers there that will offer sound information.
Link to forum;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

very easy job
The problem comes in the dimensions from the proposed hob position to any wall units, combustable surfaces, got to be rightt.

Thanks for the replies :D

I've found the correct forum now and as you said, its full of information!

So long as connecting the gas pipe to the feed to the boiler is simple, routing the pipe should be simple as the kitchen is stripped bare at the moment and it should be able to go under the floor.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Connecting the hob to the boiler gas supply is dependant on that being adequate for both appliances. It shouldn't be assumed that it is; it may be necessary to run back to the gas meter.

if you have a 22mm pipe supplying the gas boiler and you take a 15mm feed, over the two meters the pressure readings should be sound, but can't assume it will be, it is a gas engeeners job, not DIY.
But the gas men will inform you better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back