Changing from spur to timer for immersion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question. We have a megaflo which provides our hot water at this time of year through the immersion. We dont use the oil boiler if the weather if warm. As we dont want to have it on constantly I have bought one of these....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timeguard-...UTF8&qid=1463917532&sr=8-4&keywords=timeguard

The spur has L1 and L2, N1 anf N2 and 2 earths. The timer has L in L out, N in and N out. Am i right in thinking L1 goes into L in and L2 goes into L out and the same with the neutrals?

Also, whilst googling this i found some negative comments regarding these timers and others causing fittings to melt and not lasting very long. Any advice on this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the FCU was wired correct then yes. However the FCU has a fuse, the timer has no fuse, so unless there is a fuse or MCB elsewhere then you need both the timer and FCU.

Keep the switch/spur and add the timer after it.
With no switch, there is no means of isolation for the inevitable day when the immersion fails, the thermostat needs replacement or the timer decides to fail in the on position.

Sponsored Links
It appears you've purchased wrong product. If you want water to be heated for a certain time every day and not on permanently, then this will work. The "spur" you're referring to, do you mean switch? If it's a switch, you could leave it in situ and fit timer between this switch and the immersion heater.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...0_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=timeguard+timer+switch

Edit: There are loads of electronic and mechanical timers out there. If you want water to be heated the same time every day then you can't beat a good old fashioned 24 hr mechanical timer I reckon! I've had switching issues with more than one Timeguard electronic timer in the past.

Last edited:
TIMEGUARD%20FST24%20MAIN.jpg

I've got one of these fitted to our towel radiator, it controls a heating element in Summer when the boiler isn't required purely to dry towels on it. Seems pretty good.

The unit shown above would seem best option there is a FST24 and FST77 the latter is a 7 day timer. I assumed you did not want regular time, but would press the button when you wanted water, the same can be done with the FST24/77 reading the Instructions .

With my daughters old house I realised the position of the thermostat and temperatures set is important. To save money in error I reduced the temperature of water from central heating and as a result the electric took over. Having the electric set very low 140°F or 60°C is minimum temperature due to legionnaires disease, so electric set to 60°C and central heating set to 80°C and automatically if central heating is running the electric does not work specially if the central heating thermostat is lower than electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back