Changing gas cooker to electric - any comments?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has been reasonably well covered but I am looking for any feedback on what I plan to do.

I currently have a gas cooker with the ignition plugged into a normal 3-pin mains socket. I plan to change this for a single built-in electric oven, extractor fan and gas hob.

Oven = 2.5KW
Hob (ignition only) = 20W
Extractor = not specified, but 3A fuse, looks like about 0.75mm cable

I am aware of part-P, but started this job several years ago ;) however I do want to stick to the guidelines.

My current plan is to break-in to the ring-main (which runs near the oven) and add 2 new 13A DP switched FCUs. The first one would be fitted with a 13A fuse and then 2.5mm cable to a 30A connection plate to connect the cooker.

The second FCU would have a 3A fuse and power the hob ignitors and extractor fan via 1.5mm cable and two 4A junction boxes (one for each appliance).

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this plan? I am not quite sure about the 30A cooker connection block as this might tempt future owners to try and connect larger cookers, however I don't think you can normally put fuses >13A in a FCU? so this should protect the cable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
1) that oven can be on the ring, would be 'better' to have it on its own circuit though

2) use flex outlet plate, as opposed to 30A cooker connection plate for oven

3) install 3 x FCU, not two, each one to a flex outlet plate near the appliance, so the hob one under the counter and the extractor on behind the fake chinney thing, above the kitchen cupboards, etc

lgraham said:
I am aware of part-P, but started this job several years ago ;)
That may well be the case. But to be exempt from the requirements of Part P you should have finished it years ago as well - before April 2005, to be precise ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back