Changing kitchen light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen lights are currently 8 old style spotlights dotted about in the ceiling. The switch is a 3 way switch. One switch for outside lights, one switch operates half of the kitchen lights and the other switch operates the other half of the kitchen lights. Not sure why as each half that is on each switch are just random ones, not even together. Ill be going in loft to look at wiring in the next few days, but how easy would it be just to disconnect the spotlights and wire up a ceiling rose in the middle of the ceiling, and just have the one switch?

Sponsored Links
Very easy to wire up if you know what your doing ,but quite a bit of work to get to all the wiring and making good the ceiling after removing 8 light fittings.

The old spotlights will just be left disconnected in position until we do up the kitchen. Ill then remove them and plaster the ceiling. Access isnt an issue as am in bungalow and loft isnt floored

Not sure why as each half that is on each switch are just random ones, not even together.
I have two lighting circuits in my kitchen for ceiling downlights. One circuit is for general lighting around the room. The other circuit is for specific downlights that light up the worktop and breakfast bar and hob. Both are on dimmers so we can change the lighting style to suit what is going on in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
If it were me I would be tempted to have 1 switch doing the ceiling rose and other other switch doing all the spot lights. (at least until you decorate and cover holes)

You may find they are useful at times, or when the lamp fails.
You may find the central light is not good enough.
or would people be too tempted to use the spots ££ ? Put a bit of white tape over the switch if that is the case

The ceiling rose will be fine. All the wiring will be removed from the spotlights and the spare switch will then be used for outside lights. Just need a wiring diagram for the ceiling rose to the single switch at each end of kitchen (switch at each door)

Not sure not got that far yet. Was only an idea as its next to the switch thats already being used for outside lights. Just wanted another one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back