Changing my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved in to my house 18 months ago and got a letter last year from Servowarm telling me that my Servowarm Supreme Electric boiler was past it's serviceable date.

Last night, I noticed that some water has been leaking from the old boiler for some time (signs of corrosion). Bearing in mind it's past it's serviceability date, I think it would be better to go for a new Condensing boiler rather than try to get the existing one fixed.

Looking at the boiler efficiency table, it looks like the Potterton Promax 15/2 HE Plus is the most efficient - http://www.sedbuk.com/

Now my issues are:-

1. What should I be asking/looking out for when contacting a central heating installer?

2. The Servowarm Supreme Electric had a radiator attached to the front of the boiler. Is it possible to have a radiator attached to the new condensing boiler, and if not what are the alternatives?

3. I've read that a condensing boiler needs a drainaway due to the acidic nature of the water. Does this involve digging up my floor, knocking holes in my walls or how would it be connected to my outside drain?

4. Does anybody know if there's price/efficiency website?

5. Is it cheaper to put up with the boiler leakage until May, or are the prices for boiler replacement & installation constant throughout the year?

6. Does anybody know reliable central heating engineers in the SW London area?

Cheers,
J

Sponsored Links
1/ is he bright does he ask you plenty of questions, does he give you different options and spell out in laymans terms what they mean, or does he say this is what you want love!

2/no

3/depends on site survey you will find the answer when you ask for estimates, and after a few you'll come to realise which estimater has used his noddle and covered all bases, and which is a bang em in fast and furious money grabber.

4/price / efficiency are not the two parameters to base your decision on. Price and expected future reliability are. There is not a website that tells you which boilers will have proved to be dogs in ten years time. These you have to estimate for yourself. Good luck to you.

5/ YES

6/ No, I'm from Scarborough, good luck.

Don't mention it.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back