changing old light switch for dimmer help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok this is my first post on here and im new today.

Basically I moved in to my home in november 2011 and we finally got to a stage where we can start doing things to the home.

We had a baby in nov 2012 and I today I decided to fit a dimmer in our little girls room so as not to wake her with bright light when its time for a bum change in the middle of the night.
Ive changed plug sockets around the home and my parents home since I was young mainly first by copying how it was originally wired up and now by the same way but using more common sence. But this light switch has really baffled me (The house is a vic hallam and was built in the 60s) normally im use to red and black wires but this had 3 red wires, 2 of which were wound together and 2 black wires which were bound together with a yellow rubber plug thing (kind of like a thimble you use when sewing).
The 2 bound red wires and single red wire were wired into the light switch.
The switch its self had no visible markings to follow so I decided to use my judgement and wired up the dimmer the only way I could see. The dimmer had 3 holes L1, L2 and com. The com had no ability to connect anything leaving me with L1 and L2 so I wired it up with my red wires and turned the mains box back on and the light seems to work fine. There is a slight buzz coming from the dimmer but I remember my old one in parent house doing the same thing.

So basically after my essay have I done it right and if not what do I do?

I have seen simler posts on here but they havent helped me in my particular case.

Thanks in advance.
Ry

Sponsored Links
The yellow thing sounds like a wire nut, you don't tend to get them nowadays and would be a good idea imo to replace with a piece of terminal block.
If the dimmer is metal with an earth terminal then it needs to be earthed.
Apart from that there is little more to do.

Well may I welcome you then?
We had a baby in nov 2012
Belated congratulation, hope both baby and mother are healthy and well.

What load is on the circuit (lamp wattage) and what is the rating of the dimmer?
Is there and earth connection this would be required on metallic switches that are not double insulated.

Well may I welcome you then?
We had a baby in nov 2012
Belated congratulation, hope both baby and mother are healthy and well.

What load is on the circuit (lamp wattage) and what is the rating of the dimmer?
Is there and earth connection this would be required on metallic switches that are not double insulated.

Thank you we are all great.

When you say the load on the circuit do you mean the bulb?

How will I know the rating?

Al I can say for now is that yes there is an earth connected to the metal plate in the wall and the dimmer is a status 1 gang 1 way (250w) dimmer switch 40 - 250w 220v - 250v

Ry

Sponsored Links
The term used is lamp (AKA bulb) and I mean the ones that the dimmer switch is operating.
You check the lamps/bulbs for wattge rating, it should be printed on them and add that up for you total load.
For example if you have 6 lamps/bulbs at 50W then you have a load of 300W.
the dimmer is a status 1 gang 1 way (250w) dimmer switch 40 - 250w 220v - 250v
So using the example above 300W total you will see that your dimmer is only suitable for a load of 250W Max.
The load of the dimmer needs to be rated suitably to that of the lights, for both low and high ratings.

The yellow thing sounds like a wire nut, you don't tend to get them nowadays and would be a good idea imo to replace with a piece of terminal block.
If the dimmer is metal with an earth terminal then it needs to be earthed.
Apart from that there is little more to do.

The dimmer is plastic but has a metal plate in the wall which is earthed.

Its is and old house and does need updating the fuse box for example still takes the chunky and thin fuses that you slide inside a plastic holder but thats one of many things to be updated.

Its the red wires im confused about the black ones have the wire nut and the earth is attached to the plate but the red wire are connected to the switch...well the dimmer now and like I said it seems to work fine. But I wanna know if it was wired wrong would it still work and cause problems or would it not work at all.

The dimmer is plastic but has a metal plate in the wall which is earthed.
That should be okay
Its is and old house and does need updating the fuse box for example still takes the chunky and thin fuses that you slide inside a plastic holder but thats one of many things to be updated.
There is no requirement to update, unless it is unsafe for continued service.
Its the red wires im confused about the black ones have the wire nut and the earth is attached to the plate but the red wire are connected to the switch...well the dimmer now and like I said it seems to work fine. But I wanna know if it was wired wrong would it still work and cause problems or would it not work at all.
What you have is a loop at the switch plate for live and neutral.
The pair of reds twisted together are the live loop, the pair of blacks are the neutral loop. The spare red is your switch live.
If it was not connected correctly, it would/should not function.
Some dimmers do buzz a little, you can get silent ones, but you also need to check the load as previous post suggested by me.

It sounds fine to me. Have a read through this //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
What you have is probably similar to this:

electrics:lighting:slhar1w.gif

The term used is lamp (AKA bulb) and I mean the ones that the dimmer switch is operating.
You check the lamps/bulbs for wattge rating, it should be printed on them and add that up for you total load.
For example if you have 6 lamps/bulbs at 50W then you have a load of 300W.
the dimmer is a status 1 gang 1 way (250w) dimmer switch 40 - 250w 220v - 250v
So using the example above 300W total you will see that your dimmer is only suitable for a load of 250W Max.
The load of the dimmer needs to be rated suitably to that of the lights, for both low and high ratings.

I see well its just the one bulb and its 60w 240v
So going on that I would assume the dimmer is suitable.

But what about the wires? Thats my main concern.

What you have is a loop at the switch plate for live and neutral.
The pair of reds twisted together are the live loop, the pair of blacks are the neutral loop. The spare red is your switch live.
If it was not connected correctly, it would/should not function.
Some dimmers do buzz a little, you can get silent ones, but you also need to check the load as previous post suggested by me.

Ahhh I see that puts my mind at rest now thank you for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back