Changing pitched roof to flat roof on house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:26 pm
I have recently bought a 1960's house with a pitched roof one side longer than the other. We plan to remodel the house and completely change the look of the house.

Our architect has come up with some drawings which include changing the roof from pitched to flat.

I have tried to find some info on how big a job this would be but as expected there are very few examples of people that have done this.

Can anyone give me some advice? The length of the house is about 50ft by 25ft. I assume I will have to strip of the roof and install some steel supporting beams.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Aye gotta agree with ye oldie tony (though he does live in a favela), it's quite nice and interesting as it is. I would maybe change the tiles and the cladding beneath the windows for something else and other minor bits and bobs.

But then if the plan is to remodel the aside and add extra space then the above maybe won't cut the mustard but then the client is always right of course! :p

Each to their own of course.

We plan to add another bedroom and bathroom. The whole roof (flat and pitcher) needs replacing so with this in mind we looked at a more contempoary look.

All you need is a gable at the garage end with the ridge pitching at 90 degrees to the exiting, soffitting down to just above window height.

Might need some steel above the garage etc.

Simple.

Probably the best bet is to discuss budget costings with your architect, maybe commission a full feasibility study.

From the concept sketches it looks like quite a big job, my gut feeling is it would be well in excess of £150k.

Having said that I rather like the new design. These 1970's type properties can be converted to make very contemporary new homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back