Changing Pump gate Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leak from one of these and the other one was very corroded so i have decided to change them out , I just want to make sure i'm doing it right before i create any more problems

1. tie up the ballcock in the loft
2. drain system from lowest radiator
3. change valves on either side of pump
4. release ballcock to fill system
5. bleed all radiators
6. check work making sure it's sealed
7. switch heating back on

should this resolve my problem or i have i missed anything out or could there even be any poetenial problems in doing this??

much appreciate an expert's advice ;)

Sponsored Links
That sounds OK.

Getting the old pump valves off the pump may not be quite so easy! It can take an hour or so!

Most professionals would replace the pump as that can be more cost effective.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Depending how competent yu feel, i would bung the system as opposed to drain the system, ave time draining, filling up and possible airlocks. Only attempt bunging if you feel happy to do the job, quickly and wth out any probs.

I have seen several references to bungs in feed pipe when draining down.

What objections are there to fitting a gate valve on the feed pipe with the handwheel removed except when it is needed to close valve for drain down. Maybe even a label as a backup instructing valve to be kept open.

jobloggs said:
I have seen several references to bungs in feed pipe when draining down.

What objections are there to fitting a gate valve on the feed pipe with the handwheel removed except when it is needed to close valve for drain down. Maybe even a label as a backup instructing valve to be kept open.

Because its bad practice.....................give a customer a valve and the odd one will fiddle with it and turn it off, such are customers.

I often fit a screwdriver isolating valve in the feed pipe while drained if its a system I expect to return to.

Saves a lot of time on the next visit.

Tony

put small dab of silicone grease [not sealant] on all male threads and any future job to change pump is so easy.

never , ever ,

put a small dab of grease on pump threads.

it might not be you going back.

let the next guy have a bit of suffering..

:cool:

Neily said:
1. tie up the ballcock in the loft
2. drain system from lowest radiator
3. change valves on either side of pump
4. release ballcock to fill system
5. bleed all radiators
6. check work making sure it's sealed
7. switch heating back on

8. Use only the gate valve type of pump valve, the ball type will leak the next time you need them :cry:
9. Re-bleed once the system is hot and the air has found its way into the rads.

Otherwise I think it's all been covered by others....good luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back