1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Baxi won't stay on after pump change

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Claire P, 4 Dec 2019.

1. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

I think you will find this is the one you removed................and not 'one I made earlier'

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

2. Sponsored Links
  3. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    C'mon Andy... Did you never watch Blue Peter? :p;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You only have to look at the kitchen floor tiles to guess when the CH system last had some professional attention! :eek::ROFLMAO:

5. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No giggling here Claire.

Just thick skinned banter born out of continually reading posts about time and money being spent on misdiagnosis by diyers, looking to save money by not calling a plumber in - and yes, we (as plumbers) do get a little disgruntled at one less job on the market, that we could have carried out more efficiently!

Still, there's plenty left fortunately.

You'd be surprised how many dirty pumps and valves can be revived after a good clean, but I guess the post rationalisation is working out for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Claire P

Claire P

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Burnerman. The water coming out is murky but not jet black. The pressure when bleeding upstairs is fine, but downstairs it tends to trickle. Thanks

7. Claire P

Claire P

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dilalio. Do you think if I could afford a plumber I wouldn't have called one. We aren't all walking money bags. Regards a good clean of parts, I am glad we bought new as ours were knocking on a bit anyway, so I am happy in knowing this at least has been done. I was advised a few times to "balance" the system, which has never been required before. So, I may have to start again by draining/cleaning and re-filling

8. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Claire, when you took the radiator off, presumably you flushed it out......just wondering what state of cleanliness the system is in. There's always some black crap in the rads which is usually easy enough to shift with a garden hose but it shouldn't be excessive.
    Many people reckon their system is spotless but it never is :eek:
    Perhaps you could disconnect the rad once more, then open the valves to allow water to flow.....the water will flow from the loft small tank, into the system and you'll hear the tank refilling if all is well.
    I appreciate that it isn't the best time of year not to have heating but maybe a good flush through is needed, plus the installation of a filter on the boiler return?
    John :)

9. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unfortunately, with all the system upheaval you may have shifted some debris about and it's causing a restriction in the feed to the downstairs rads, either that or there's an airlock. Given you are getting some water when bleeding downstairs means it's restricted and not blocked which should be easier to shift but it may take some time. Really the only way to be sure would be a process of elimination, shut down a rad, drain it down and then open each valve into a bucket and ensure water runs freely through them, run a fair amount until it runs clear.

Your system may have been balanced before all this happened. Now that there has been relatively significant changes to the system, especially when it's a reasonable size, then it would be advised to re-balance the system again. That way at least you get things back to the start.
    The steps to follow are here. https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Plumbing:faq2

If all this is to be done, then once complete then please remember to re-inhibit your system.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. The Novice

The Novice

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Funny how I said balancing, yet was told it was bulls**t? :whistle:

12. Claire P

Claire P

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was told by another on here I should never have touched the balancing, so I am totally confused over which is the correct advice, sorry

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. The Novice

The Novice

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What was meant by you should never have touched the balancing, was not to touch it in the first place, as in you closed all the lockshield valves upstairs, this will then throw the balance out because they might have only been open a fraction, or some full and others not, etc. Read the link on balancing, as this to me seems what is now required, balance your system if you can, and take it from there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Claire P

Claire P

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, we can only try lol At least we know it's not blocked, as when the upstairs ones were closed, the hot water made it to the downstairs ones. It's not sludge as they get hot all over and the one that was initially removed was flushed, and that one is one of the cold ones. I still worry over whether I have bought the right pump though :( Flowmasta from screwfix. Not much info with it :(

15. The Novice

The Novice

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m sure it will be ok. Stick to known brands if you can afford to, especially with plumbing, heating and gas, they usually have better quality control and the correct info with them. As you say, you can only try.

16. Claire P

Claire P

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An update. We have heat all over the house :) Left it for today. Then tonight I opened all the lock shields fully (as they were originally) Opened all temp valves fully. Started bleeding from the bottom of house up. Turned on pump and "rocked" the speed between 3 and 1 a few times. A rather loud gurgling went round the pipes and then water was heard free flowing through pipes. Reset pump to 2. Gurgling settled and all radiators fired up. Have now bought cleaner and inhibitor to use very soon! Thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Airlock then .... good stuff ..... easy peasy fix. (y)

Sponsored Links