hot rads upstairs, cold down stairs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have recently had our hot water tank moved into the attic , to make room for a shower. The boiler is only 18 months old, it is a baxi condensing boiler.
Since having the tank moved the radiators upstairs get hot but the rads down stairs are cold . we had the plummer back, he switched the rads off upstairs and re-balanced them. The following day they were back to being cold down stairs. He suggested using FERNOX, we have done that today, still no change. We have noticed a hissing sound coming from the boiler and the water is scolding hot.
Can any one help?

Sponsored Links
If your boiler is only 18 months old and the installer says you need to use fernox, he did a pretty p1sspoor job on the installation.

we think the same. He seems relunctant to come back out and look at it.My hot water is blue since putting the fernox in, and the rads are no hotter.

Sponsored Links
Was fernox F3 cleaner i put in.There is only one header tank. I have run all the hot water off, until it run clear.

The plot thickens, this is why it is important to give as much info as possible regarding your system at the start of the thread.

I am now beginning to think you have a sealed CH system ie: no header tank. And you have actually put the fernox into your hot water feed tank :?: I hope I am wrong though :D

Please give us more info. Is the header tank you added the fernox into, higher up than the hot water storage tank??

Hi the boiler is a baxi potterton 24 HE.
The tank i put the fernox in ,is above the hot water tank. I have now run the water off and it is running clear.Advised to put Fernox in header tank. There is only one tank so that`s where i put it. Hot water came out of taps , very blue in colour.
Our problems started when the hot water tank was moved into the attic. The rads upstairs are hot , downstairs they are cold.

Please tell us u didnt allow anyone to drink the water (even boiled)....that stuff is very poisonous IIRC

ha ha! Of course i never, i came home during my lunch and run all the water off and i have done it again since coming home.

sounds to me you need to drain the system down then fill up again real slow.

(primatic cylinder?)

:D Oh dear, you did what I had feared. :rolleyes:

Oh well, give the hotwater a really good flush. Turn off the heating to the hot water tank to save gas and run it for several hours to flush it really well. As already mentioned, Glycol (blue) is HIGHLY poisenous even in low doses. However glycol poisoning is hard to detect :D So if you have ran a bath for the mother in law then you did the right thing. :D

You need to add the chemical via the filling loop on your boiler to get it into the system or via a radiator. Dont expect too much though. Most of these off the shelf chemicals are ****e and do nothing :(

Still at least you saved money on Radox bubble bath. people pay money to have blue water in the bath :LOL:

If the guy that moved the tank suggested that you add fernox to the header tank, I dont think he remembers the job he did very well TBH.

What else did he move, Ie: pump, zone valves etc??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back