Changing roof

• Thread starter Janette Honeyman
  • Start date
J

Janette Honeyman

I recently had an extension to the rear of kitchen (4m x 3m) and put a pitched roof on - (I live in a bungalow.) I would like to take the extension across the back of the bungalow and have a sloped tiled roof from the main building all the way across which would be another 4m x 6m -which is what I should have done in the first place :(, can anyone give me an indication as to cost and difficulty of changing this roof type? Any sensible advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I apologise for not making my query clearer. I've attached photos and to explain better - I should have taken the original extension across the back of the bungalow from the garage on the left instead of an extension from the kitchen on the right.
I now want to take the extension from the garage to the extended part but want to change the roof to a sloping one all the way across from left to right but don't know if this is possible as the roof of the extension goes the other way and was looking for some advice if possible. I would appreciate any suggestions/solutions.

I can only download 1 photo - no idea what is wrong with website, however, it doesn't show the left hand side with garage which is almost level with the extension on the right. I do hope this message and the first one makes sense now.

Attachments

• Roof 3 040720 155626.jpg
    Roof 3 040720 155626.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:
Flat roof or another pitched roof like that extension, and a central valley.

Sponsored Links
So, is it not a wise thing to alter the roof of the existing extension to make it flow from bungalow across the whole of the extension? I'm asking so that when I get the builders in for a quote that I have a rough idea of what would work best. Many thanks for your suggestion though.

Its perfectly feasible what you propose, you're new extension would have to be taken back down to wall plate and to get the proper pitch from existing roof to new extension would require the new roof to start high up from existing.
You will only get accurate costs by getting plans drawn and builders estimating from them.

Many thanks for your reply and assurance that this can be done. Much appreciated.

Well I hope you are detached as I dough't planning would approve otherwise.

So, is it not a wise thing to alter the roof of the existing extension to make it flow from bungalow across the whole of the extension? I'm asking so that when I get the builders in for a quote that I have a rough idea of what would work best. Many thanks for your suggestion though.
Its down to basic geometry.

By widening the extended area, you increase the roof volume, so a pitched roof needs to go higher - and that will probably be higher than the existing bungalow rood ridge. The alternative would be to reduce the pitch, and that tends to look awful - like a holiday home.

Builders can't quote on ideas. You need a drawn and specified plan to get realistic quotes, otherwise it's a guess to the nearest £20k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back