changing socket in shed to RCD socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer has asked us to change the socket in her outside shed and we have recommended her to have an RCD socket as she uses it for her lawnmower.
Do we need to put a Part P certificate on it, as it is a change rather than a new installation.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will need to do a Minor Works Certificate for the works that you do.

It is electrical work in a special location, even though it is being done on an existing circuit so yes it is notifiable.

It is electrical work in a special location, even though it is being done on an existing circuit so yes it is notifiable.

Sorry to be thick, but when you say "yes it is notifiable" do you mean just on a Minor Works Certificate or as a Part P as well?

Both. You give the cert to the person who you are doing the work for. That tells them that the work has been done inaccordance with the relavent standatrds and the results of the tests on the circuit.

For Building Regs Part P you notify thru the organisation you are registered with (if you are able to self-certify) or you call the local authority before you do the work and pay their fee. They will inspect.

Sponsored Links

According to Table 1 on page 8 at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf (plus note f), a shed is not a special location. It also suggests that replacement of an existing socket is non-notifiable, regardless of whether it is in a special location or not.

I am in no way an expert on Part P requirements, so I guess I must have overlooked something important here and would be interested to know what it is. :confused:

Original post referred to "the socket in her outside shed".....

Whoops, you're right ColJack.
Work within detatched garages & sheds is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring.
:oops:

Related to this, I know that if I want to put up a new outside security light, it is non notifiable if it is on the outside wall of the house and there is no exposed external cabling (point l on page 9 of http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf).

For the purposes of this rule, does a detached garage count as part of "the house"? In other words, can I add an additional security light to the outside wall of the detached garage so long as there is no exposed external cabling?

yes, as long as the cabling goes directly into the light and does not go outside at all then it's non-notifiable..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back