Changing stairs electric switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've a typical 2 way switch at the bottom and top of my stairs and I want to change it to smart switches.

My first thoughts were to rewire one of the switches to be connected to the light and the top switch to act as a virtual switch.

The only problem is I don't think I can power the switch on at the top of the stairs in this situation.

Does anyone know of a way to use two 1 way smart switches in this situation?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Don't think of the 2nd smart switch in the traditional sense (it sits in circuit)- it doesn't have to, the 2nd switch is just a remote control for the master switch.
Main limitation with smart switches at light switches is finding a neutral- some don't need one but they can be tricky. The easier route may be to put your smart device where the light is then reconfigure the cabling to link the smart device to the remote switches (the cabling then only carries power and maybe data to the remotes rather than actually switching anything).
First step (electrically) is work out and sketch out what you've got now.

EDIT Cable colour DOES NOT define cable function- a black or blue wire in a switch circuit could well be live.
EDIT 2 Some remote switches don't even need a power supply- they are battery powered and link wirelessly with the master device. Very handy if you're trying to clear up a borrowed neutral somewhere

Last edited:
Alternatively, you could install a "smart" relay in the cavity above the light fittings and keep the existing switches.

Sponsored Links
Yes you fit a relay at the lamp, the unit DSC_6061.jpg connects to switches seen at top here using extra low voltage, and a change in state of switches swaps the relay to on or off, it does not matter if the switches go off or on, just they change state. DSC_6060.jpg details on box.

I wanted a light top of stairs, still not fitted waiting for son with ladders, but I set it up to test DSC_6058.jpg DSC_6059.jpg the idea is 1 or 4 or 5 lamps not sure if I will renew cable to two way switch so all lamps switched with hard wiring, or if just 4 switched hard wired and 1 switches with phone only.

Instructions here Landing-light-relay-instructions2.jpg Landing-light-relay-instructions1.jpg with no neutral at the switch this seems the easy way around the problem. Zigbee so does need a zigbee hub.

Also I use Energenie smart switches, you can get these as pairs, light_switch.jpg the S wire is extra low voltage and it connects to other switch of pair, Part Number MIHO043 again needs a hub, and of the 5 switches I fitted only 2 still working, so maybe not best route.

The switches are clearly connected to wifi, I use remote controls upload_2022-1-6_13-36-9.png but some versions do what look like standard wall switches that use a wireless connection, in some cases battery powered in some cases mains powered.

Much depends if there is a neutral at the switch. Switches which don't use a neutral can have problems with LED lights flashing when off, or a shimmer when on, in the main BA22d and E27 are OK, but small lamps like G9 seem to have a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back