Changing Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like some help please with wiring my new light switch.

The old switch is completely different to the new one. I have numbered the wires, and lettered the new switch. Could you please help advise which letters the numbers go in......

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The only difference between the old and the new one, is on the new one both switches have their groups of terminals the same way up, on the old they are the opposite way from each other.

Consider the old switch as two triangles, each with com at the top and L1 and L2 on the base... now look on the new one, you have to black areas, each with the same triangle on ;)

Remember to put an earth flylead from the earth terminal to the box

As its a class 1 switch (class 1 = requiring an earth) the switch must be earthed, its not acceptable to rely on the plate screws in this instance, so you must fit a bit of earth cable between this terminal and the terminal in the backbox where the earths of the other cables are attached

Sponsored Links

As its a class 1 switch (class 1 = requiring an earth) the switch must be earthed, its not acceptable to rely on the plate screws in this instance, so you must fit a bit of earth cable between this terminal and the terminal in the backbox where the earths of the other cables are attached

EDIT: Do I see unsheathed conductors *behind* the backbox, or is it a trick of the photo?

Your existing switch consists of two switches, each with three terminals: Common, L1, and L2. Your new switch consists of two switches, each with three terminals: Common, L1, and L2. They are no different.

As Adam said, connect a short earth lead from the terminal on the new switch to the earth terminal in the box. Alternatively, as the box has a fixed lug, simply move the earth wires from the box to the switch. Get some green/yellow sleeving for them.

Am I the only one who's spotted the SI conductors behind the box?

It doesn't matter (as long as you do the same on the new switch) but the switch is upside down.

You do all realise that the OP's questions mean that he doesn't actually know how a switch works.

just now the earth. not sure where to earth it in the wall.....

One end of the flylead in the terminal in the box into which the existing earth conductors connect. The other end to the "open" terminal on the new switch - The one which has a metal strap running down to the fixing hole.

Cover the earth wire you already have and your fly leed in the appropriate size insulation sleeve.

images

ok thanks for all your help. going to wire as per my diagram and see what happens....... still no idea on this earth, i know i need a new wire that goes from side hole in new switch, just not sure where it goes in the wall (guessing the copper thing at top right)

ok thanks for all your help. going to wire as per my diagram and see what happens....... still no idea on this earth, i know i need a new wire that goes from side hole in new switch, just not sure where it goes in the wall (guessing the copper thing at top right)
Andy - PLEASE get an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back