new light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi trying to swap a light switch in kitchen there are 2 more switches in kitchen besides this one , the problem i am having is the single switch i want to swap is different from the new one i have the old switch has 4 wire the new switch needs only 3
wire setup looking at switch from back
old switch top terminals= left terminal red right terminal black red sleeve between terminals is letters L1.
bottom terminals= left terminals red right terminal black red sleeve between terminals letters L2
new switch= top terminal com
bottom terminals= left terminal 1way right terminal 2way.
can i use the new switch or do i need one like the old one with 4 terminals
help appreciated cheers

Sponsored Links
hi trying to swap a light switch in kitchen there are 2 more switches in kitchen besides this one , the problem i am having is the single switch i want to swap is different from the new one i have the old switch has 4 wire the new switch needs only 3
wire setup looking at switch from back
old switch top terminals= left terminal red right terminal black red sleeve between terminals is letters L1.
bottom terminals= left terminals red right terminal black red sleeve between terminals letters L2
new switch= top terminal com
bottom terminals= left terminal 1way right terminal 2way.
can i use the new switch or do i need one like the old one with 4 terminals
help appreciated cheers

Pictures plese...

Sponsored Links
So let's see if I've got this straight.

You had a switch with 4 terminals, but you went out and bought one with only 3.

You could see that they were different, you could see that all 4 terminals in the old switch were in use, but still you asked if you could use the new switch.

Why did you buy something different to what you already had?

And above all, why on earth did you think that it would be perfectly OK for you to fiddle with your wiring when you knew full well that you didn't have the first idea how it worked?

PS
... left terminal red right terminal black red sleeve ... left terminals red right terminal black red sleeve ...
I hope that it is just that you didn't mention the earths for the sake of clarity. If it's not, i.e. if they aren't there, then you must not use a metal switch.

If you have bought the switches from a DIY shop, you may struggle to get an intermediate from them.

What make and range is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back