Changing Switch

I hope I dont come across rude, but your old switch has the terminals marked Common, L1 and L2.

Your new switch is marked up Common, L1 and L2 :!:

Sponsored Links
If in any doubt get a qualified electrician.

Each individual switch consists of Com, L1, and L2.

The bare copper wires at the top of the switch box are earth wires. These should be sleeved in green and yellow sleeving, but forty years ago they often weren't.

The new metal faceplate MUST be connected to earth.

If in any doubt get a qualified electrician.

Care to explain how not even knowing how a switch works is compatible with being competent and safe to do electrical installation work?

You do like everyone else (on this thread) has done, instead of the silly childish and deliberately stupid remarks, you give the poster the information he needs to help understand what is needed and how to do it correctly.

But you have in numerous ways and by numerous people been told this for many years, but I suspect you will just continue to be you. If you do, don't expect me to stop the criticism.

Sponsored Links
You do like everyone else (on this thread) has done, instead of the silly childish and deliberately stupid remarks, you give the poster the information he needs to help understand what is needed and how to do it correctly.
You just don't get it do you.

Are you really incredibly thick, or do you just enjoy pretending to be?

The OP is lacking knowledge so very basic that he is a long long way away from being at the stage where all he needs to do is ask here how to wire a switch.

I am, always have been, and always will be utterly unswerving on this:

Fiddling with electrical work on the basis of following instructions to put this wire in that hole, without knowing why, is unacceptable, and the ONLY basis in which you should do it is with a full and genuine UNDERSTANDING of how it all works.

THE

OP

DOES

NOT

UNDERSTAND

HOW

A

SWITCH

WORKS

But you have in numerous ways and by numerous people been told this for many years, but I suspect you will just continue to be you. If you do, don't expect me to stop the criticism.
If you continue to criticise me for wanting to see high standards of competence and safety, and continue to do so in a way which cannot be backed up with any rational argument, but is in fact motivated by some pathetic idea that we mustn't call a spade a spade, don't expect me to stop pointing out that you are a stupid, irresponsible and dangerous little ***t.

If you continue to criticise me for wanting to see high standards of competence and safety, and continue to do so in a way which cannot be backed up with any rational argument, but is in fact motivated by some pathetic idea that we mustn't call a spade a spade, don't expect me to stop pointing out that you are a stupid, irresponsible and dangerous little ***t.

Did you fall out of the wrong side of your pram again? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The new switch appears to have L L1 and L2 where L is the Com of the old switch.
So?

Armed with the knowledge of how the switch works (without which it shouldn't even be removed from the wall), and armed with a multimeter (without which no electrical work should be contemplated), how hard is it to identify which terminal is which?

Even starting from scratch, how hard is it to take a multimeter, look at diagrams of lighting circuits, work out what the switch does, and identify which terminal is which?

Why is the necessity of having basic foundational competence so alien a concept to so many people here?

Did you fall out of the wrong side of your pram again?
Not at all.

And there we have it.

I think that it's essential that people understand what they are doing.

You think that that position is a laughing matter.

You are a stupid, irresponsible and dangerous little ***t.

What have I ever said that was dangerious or irresponsible?

Would rather be a little ***t than a big one like you you big t**t :LOL:

What have I ever said that was dangerious or irresponsible?
Every single time you criticise the suggestion that people should be genuinely competent, and have a genuine, solid understanding of what they are doing, you are promoting the idea that it's not necessary to be genuinely competent, and that it is OK to blindly follow instructions without knowing why.

And that is dangerous and irresponsible.

that it's not necessary to be genuinely competent, and that it is OK to blindly follow instructions without knowing why.

Hmmm...... Seems that there are quite a few "qualified" electricians who fall into that category.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back