Changing thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I do hope I'm in the right category.

I do have a boiler with pretty basic thermostat connection 230v A to B switch.
Originally both terminals was linked with little piece of wire.
Boiler wiring schematics on the page 22.
http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/pdf/combi-80e-105e.pdf

Some time ago I have bought wired thermostat Salus RT500 with basic on/off switch wiring.
Please see wiring diagram at page 5.
http://www.newton-contracting.co.uk/assets/manuals/Salus RT500 Manual Ver002.pdf

And now I have decided to get wireless one, the same series but wireless one - Salus RT500RF
But for some reason wiring is is different story here.
Please see page 6.
http://media.plumbarena.co.uk/uploads/files/2012/08/21/Salus_RT500RF_User_Manual.pdf

I do feel a bit lost.
Can you please advise?

Much appreciated.

Regards,
Kris M

Sponsored Links
It is different because it requires power to run.

The receiver is placed near the boiler or wiring centre.
The terminals A and B in your boiler connect to Com and N'O on the receiver.
Plus - it needs Live and Neutral (Earth not used) 240V supply.

The wiring to the present thermostat is redundant.

The sender unit can be placed anywhere suitable.

Thanks for your immediate answer, much appreciated.

Just to clarify.
So basically this wireless thermostat requires it's own live and neutral to be able to operate as wireless point? And other 2x terminals is basically the same old thermostat just without earth?
I did came to this conclusion before but this video from Salus made me doubt that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irrT8asotzo
That link between live and common in this video VS my boiler manual stating "it MUST be wired as shown in Fig. 29"
I was just unsure. Gas is gas you know.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Kris M

It is different because it requires power to run.

The receiver is placed near the boiler or wiring centre.
The terminals A and B in your boiler connect to Com and N'O on the receiver.
Plus - it needs Live and Neutral (Earth not used) 240V supply.

The wiring to the present thermostat is redundant.

The sender unit can be placed anywhere suitable.

So basically this wireless thermostat requires it's own live and neutral to be able to operate as wireless point?
The receiver isn't 'wireless'. The thermostat/programmer is.

And other 2x terminals is basically the same old thermostat just without earth?
Yes - just terminate the unused earth wire (CPC) safely.

I did came to this conclusion before but this video from Salus made me doubt that.

That link between live and common in this video VS my boiler manual stating "it MUST be wired as shown in Fig. 29"
I havent time now to look at the video.
You may be able to wire it with a link but that depends on the boiler.
However, there isn't much point as it will be near all the terminals required.

You're not doing anything to the gas related parts.

Sponsored Links
I ment transmitter needs some power to operate (I have seen different vendor devices with battery inside).

Thank you again.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Regards,
Kris M

So basically this wireless thermostat requires it's own live and neutral to be able to operate as wireless point?
The receiver isn't 'wireless'. The thermostat/programmer is.

And other 2x terminals is basically the same old thermostat just without earth?
Yes - just terminate the unused earth wire (CPC) safely.

I havent time now to look at the video.
You may be able to wire it with a link but that depends on the boiler.
However, there isn't much point as it will be near all the terminals required.

You're not doing anything to the gas related parts.

Some time ago I have bought wired thermostat Salus RT500 with basic on/off switch wiring.

And now I have decided to get wireless one, the same series but wireless one - Salus RT500RF
Wireless thermostats are used to avoid having to install wiring which will inevitably cause damage to walls etc.

As you already have the wiring and existing thermostat, what exactly would be the point of replacing it with a wireless one?

Hi there,

Wired thermostat currently is placed in the living room and by the temperature of living room is adjusted temperature in whole house.
We had a baby recently and I want to make sure that he get's right temperature 24/7. Personally I don't really care if temperature changes +/-5degrees but for the baby it's a bit different.
Good example - the other day we had our anniversary dinner in the living room with some candles while baby was sleeping in the bedroom, then my wife went to check on him and room temperature dropped there pretty low.

So you are right - I want to avoid drilling and making new holes!

Regards,
Kris M

Wireless thermostats are used to avoid having to install wiring which will inevitably cause damage to walls etc.

As you already have the wiring and existing thermostat, what exactly would be the point of replacing it with a wireless one?

It would be normal to install the wired part close to the boiler why when it is 230 volt control it wants to separate the supply and switch I don't know but I am sure the boiler manufacturers must have a reason.

In theory there is no reason why the supply to the thermostat has to come from the boiler it could come from handy socket although of course could end up being unplugged.

I had same problem and I fitted TRV in up-stairs rooms and throttled back the lock shield valve in room with thermostat until all rooms were working A1.

You may find simply throttling back the lock shield valve in the room with thermostat is enough to warm up other rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back