Changing Timing Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i need to change the timing belt and the other three external belts in my Mitsubishi Pajero 1999 as it has got more than 100,000Km. How much can I expect to pay a garage to do this?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ring them up and ask :)

From memory, when I had this done on a Mazda about five years ago, it was £100 for the belt kit and £100 labour.

I have now, £430 for doing all the four belts...seems a bit expensive to me

Sponsored Links
That was just a quote, it is an imported Mitsubishi Pajero and from what I see I could almost change the belts my self.

I guess this is similar to the L200.....set aside a good 3 hours, there are two covered belts (timing and balance shaft) and 3 auxiliaries.
The crankshaft pulley bolt is tight though but access aint too bad as the radiator has to come out.
John :)

Ring some more garages and see how the prices compare. Also interesting to ask them how much is parts and how much is labour. I've rang three garages today and labour is £45, £50 and £66, all ex VAT.

Ring some more garages and see how the prices compare. Also interesting to ask them how much is parts and how much is labour. I've rang three garages today and labour is £45, £50 and £66, all ex VAT.

I cant see anyone taking on that job for those amounts, are you sure that included the timing belt?

I think the original quote is a wee bit high (maybe he didn't want the job) but a belt kit, (5) plus tensioners (2) if needed will be around the ton, not trade. Coolant will be needed too.
Anyone who can fit those belts for £66 aint gonna die rich :p
I think £150 labour would be ok.

Ring some more garages and see how the prices compare. .

But always determine that the garage is competent.

Do a halfassed job on cambelts and you pay the price often enough with a destroyed engine top end. That will take the sparkle away from having saved a few quid when the garage deny all responsibility.

Find a decent garage and pay a decent price - cambelt work is one job that needs doing spot-on, no exceptions.

Oops! Sorry, that post was misleading. What I meant was that I had rang some garages for some work on my car and the prices quoted were the prices they charge for each hour of labour. Apologies for not clearly stating that.

The 'book' time for these is just over two hours.....its half an hour more if the vehicle has A/C so say 3 hours to be safe. Thats assuming that all the undertray and rad bolts shift, of course but such is life.
I'd go with whichever garage gave you confidence and a good reception!

Sponsored Links
Back