Laguna 1.8 Timing Belt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to change the timing belt on my 04 plate 1.8 petrol Laguna, anybody got any hints or tips or even better a rough guide?? Are there special tools required or any other such nasties......
Done plenty of belts before but for some reason this one makes me nervous :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have too many problems with this one, but you must fit a new tensioner and guide (the one at the back of the motor).
You are supposed to lock the camshafts at the other end of the motor but you can get by without that. Put dabs of paint on the pulleys and surrounding castings as usual.
There's a blanking plug just to the right of the dipstick tube (near flywheel) and you should use a setting pin (twist drill etc) here as I don't think the crank pulley is marked.
Renault reckon 3 hours. For me its nearer 4!
John :)

So no special tools required then? I wasn't sure what with it being 16v I might need a fancy tool to lock the camshafts....

Last one I did was an Audi V6 TDI and stupidly I didn't take a photo before removing the belt, then the phone rang, about 2 hrs later I had worked out how the belt ran!!

If I can recall, the cams have slots at the nearside ends, and the 'special tool' locks into them when the end plugs are removed.
I've heard this before, and if you can stop the cams revolving then there isn't a problem, hence the dabs of paint. In the past I've used cable ties, 'g' clamps and all sorts if necessary.
I believe you can download Autodata's procedure for a small fee if you want.

Sponsored Links
Be careful on the 16v Renault engines. Many of them have no woodruff key on the crankshaft sprocket. (Similar to the Ford 1.25 Zetec engines). Once the crank pulley bolt is removed, the lower cam belt sprocket will turn on the crankshaft slightly at some point. You really do need to use the dedicated crank locking tools on this one unless you are keen on living dangerously! :eek:

I didn't think it could be that easy. I have never bought a 'special tool' in my life I just like to know what lies ahead!

Cheers

For the help.

You MUST use the special tools for locking this engine. Locking plate in the back of the cams and a pin for the crank. Crank has NO keyway and will turn once bottom pulley is removed. When using the pin sometimes the crank is turned against the pin rather than the pin locking into a hole in the crank. If this is the case care must be taken not to let the engine turn backwards while bottom pulley is off. Also to get the tension on the belt correct the cam shaft pulley must be loosened. I would also recommend a new water pump is fitted at the same time as the belt runs very tight, and a slightly worm pump doesn't last very long. You don't want to do the job and have to do it all again in 6 months coz the water pump has failed.

Thanks very much, I purchased the Autodata words on how to do it and had already decided to get the garage to do it. Have the kit already so its only the labour, sometimes DIY mechanics is more about knowing when to say I don't have the kit!

A good point.....if we had to buy all of the locking gear for different cars, it simply wouldn't be worthwhile.

Sponsored Links
Back