Changing / upgrading radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm about to change a couple of the single radiators in my house (bedrooms) as they don't heat their rooms during the winter months. Problem is one is 1370 and the other is 105 and both carpets are under 3 years old, so I would prefer not to alter the pipe work.

I've carried out some research and myson do a 1300 but that's still short. Can I get something to bridge the gap or is it too much? Will it look unsightly? Should I bite the bullet and buy a 1400!

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Jacka

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is not a 1352 rather than a 1370? Myson do imperial radiators and the closest length to yours is 1352

For the other rad. When you said 105 did you mean 1050mm? Myson do a 1047mm imperial so that is what you need

Do a search for the myson premier he range.

Last edited:
Your right it's more around 1352. I measured in the dark when my little boy was in bed. You're right with the other too it's around 1050.

I had a look and myson imperial range which is ideal part from the price. Hell of a lot more than the compact range.

The compact range are two thirds of the price and someone mentioned these. Are they any good?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-union-valve-tail-pack-of-2/78169

I've use those extensions on 2 of my rads and so far so good.. Look the part too.

20151017_235140.jpg

Sponsored Links
They look shyte and leak like Billyo.

But that's to be expected with one of your projects Jedi.

Preferred method is chrome tube with a Chrome MI in the rad.

Can be made up to the correct length then with proper mechanical seals rather than the mickey mouse crap in the link.

Can you post a pic of your solution Dan..

If you are worried about leaks you could do this, but looks ugly.. :)

20151018_004805.jpg

Toolstation, radiator valve extensions, various lengths, in chrome and they go into the rad body
One each side to look even

Hi all, thanks for the information

I must admit I'm not a fan of the dog legs and gas man's pic is preferred. What do I need in non plumbers talk to do the job?

I've had a look on tool station at the chrome extenders do they screw directly into the rad?

The chrome extensions do screw into the rad and then the extension fits directly into the rad valve, having been cut to the required length beforehand if required. Probably the simpler way for a diyer.

That's great, cheers for the information.

If one of you chaps were me and going to carry out the above how would you re position the valves to allow for the extra thickness of rad? I'm probably going to be 20mm out and thought it would be best to drop the radiator slightly and angle it forward. Is that a no go?

The smaller one will be fine as its pushfits on plastic but the larger is copper pipe

If your copper pipes come up from the floor and there is a bit of movement(usually the case with floorboards) the there is no problem in moving the pipe forward to accommodate 20mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back