Changing uPVC door lock from split to single spindle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have not had much to do with multipoint door locks so looking for some guidance please. I have done some research and just need some confirmation as to what is likely to be needed.

My daughter's house has a uPVC front door with a split spindle lock operation and she would like it changed to single spindle (in case her 2 year old daughter accidentally shuts her out). The lock is lever/pad at present and the handles are at different heights ( I believe this is actually referred to as dual spindle?).

I haven't yet investigated any further so have not removed handles etc. The question is, what is the likelihood of being able to convert by simply changing the spindle and outside Pad for a lever or is it more likely that the whole lock will need replacing?

Any thoughts before I start to tamper would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Should be okay to change the spindle and a new handle

I believe its as easy as changing the pad handle for a lever to match the internal and fitting a solid spindle, from memory it'll be the top hole, parts required would just be a pair of handles, they'll come with a solid spindle too.

Take a look here for replacement handles, you'll get an idea of what to measure for the correct hole centres, if yours is a modern door its more than likely a 92pz(the distance between the centre of spindle to the centre of the keyhole), also from your description it seems you have a combination of different pz's for inner and outer

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/doors/door-handles-accessories/lever-lever/

http://security-hardware.co.uk/upvc-door-handles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back