Split Spindle Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I changed the handle set on a UPVC door, replacing a worne-out pair of Hoppe handles (with snip) with exactly the same Hoppe handle set. I re-used the split spindle that was already in place. It all worked for a few weeks, but this morning the outside handle did not do its job. The outside handle could be turned by 360 degrees, rather than lifting to lock, and it seemed the outer half of the spindle had slipped out of the locking mechansim. I pushed it back in and it works now, but I don't know whether it was last...
Any ideas what I did wrong? The existing split spindle is really two separate halfs, and not sprung, but with the old handles it would have worked like this for many years. I think I willl buy some type of sprung split splindle, but I am really puzzled why it popped out now, thinking I must have assesmbled something wrong.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back