Channel between floorboards and concrete floor after wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I thought I posted this yesterday - but can't seem to find the thread :confused:)

I've had a wall removed between the dining room and kitchen and now have a gap where the wall was. I intend to lay vinyl tiles, but would like a solution which does not require a long drying out time.

I hope the pic helps.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps ask the mods to transfer your original thread from the Tile forum to here?

There's no sign of a membrane below the concrete. But the surface appears dry.

Maybe remove another row of floor boards and examine the condition of the joist tails sitting in the brick pockets?

Or, perhaps remove that top course of bricks to joist seat level. This will give you a clear shot at re-boarding.

Dont leave any board edges or ends without support - fix nailer pieces to the existing joists.

There's much info on here using Search, and elsewhere on google, for bridging concrete to wood floor joins.

Thanks Ree - I'll update on the other thread and close this one. If the mods moved it, then maybe it's the best place for it.

Your new pics show the old hearth area.

Drop all brickwork to one course below the joists.

Remove all debris from the oversite.

Using new, same section (size) joists, sister them on to the existing joists,and rest them on the last course of bricks before the concrete.

Set noggins to firm the new joists up.

Set the joists on a DPC.

Sponsored Links
That sounds nice and simple :)

The (newish) joists that can be seen in the pic are attached to original joists about a floorboard or two further in. The newish joists were put in by the previous owners when they removed the chimney breast.

Would it be a good idea to take up the floorboards and put in the new joists from the originals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back