Channel drain discharge into underground drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in process of installing Hex Drain (Channel Drain) on the brick patio. I have got the underground drain available nearby where I can discharge the water. (In the picture). As you can see there is a rodding point attached.

I am planning install T junction (like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-87-5-triple-socket-equal-junction-110mm/12152) between the rodding point and piple going in (indicated by yellow lines). The pipe is plastic. (not old clay, prob about 20 years old).

I am new to this type of work and not professional , just diyer but can handle this kind of task given I have correct instructions. So my questions will reflect that , please bear with me...

- How difficult would it be to take the rodding point out of plastic red pipe, i.e. are they joined using adhesive or just pushed in --- this is about 20 years old pipe?
- When installing T juction, do I need to put some sort of adhesive while connecting pipes or just push it in?
- Does this design indiciated in the picture looks doable/realistic or am I missing something or am I in risk of breaking some building codes?

Green : New Hex (Channel) drain
Red: New pipe from Hex drain to underground drain pipe
Yellow: New T juction https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-87-5-triple-socket-equal-junction-110mm/12152
Orange: Flow of water.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pipework is 'Push fit' but be careful taking it apart, it is likely the seals will have shrunk over time, trying to get an old joint to reseal may prove problematic. Ideally, you need to try and pull a fitting off a spigot, and replace with a new fitting, (new seal will then give you a watertight joint.)

Secondly, there is a waste going into the gulley which indicates it is connected to the sewer. Any connection made to the Channel drain will need to be Trapped to prevent sewer odours coming back out. Either use a bottom outlet channel drain (if levels permit) with a Trap, or probably easier to look at fitting a new Osma type Bottle Gulley where the junction is now. Connect channel drain into one side, downpipe into the other and waste in the top, through the grid. Should (if levels work) solve all your issues in one go.

Thanks @Hugh Jaleak

Those are some very valuable tips.

Regarding the resealing am I right to understand that instead of using old pipe/fitting just get a new pipe/ pipe fitting and push fit. (as you get new rubber seal in spigot) ?

Sponsored Links
Regarding the resealing am I right to understand that instead of using old pipe/fitting just get a new pipe/ pipe fitting and push fit. (as you get new rubber seal in spigot) ?

Yes, the seals go hard over time, and will have shrunk to fit the old pipe. Trying to reuse fittings them never bodes well, it's unlikely they will seal again once disturbed. All new fittings will come with an integral seal.

Ensure you use a suitable lubricant for jointing, smear inside the socket around the seal and on the spigot end you wish to join to, makes jointing easier and prevents the seal from being displaced as you make the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back