Channel Drain - Uneven Concrete Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a rear patio which is made up of concrete, it slopes towards the house and there is no drain. The water pools outside of the rear door.

I have confirmed with the waterboard that we have 2x drains, 1x foul sewer and 1x surface water. The plan was cut out (using a grinder) a channel across the rear patio (7mtrs ish) and then install a channel drain, connecting it to the Surface Drainage system somehow.

A concern is that the concrete is not level it slopes upwards slightly, and the Channel Drain is not flexible and it will add pressure to the joints. The concrete has a slight downwards bow in the middle.

Any ideas how to do this?

5zp2zs.jpg

Red line = Proposed drain

2wn1uhe.jpg

jqreh1.jpg

1j3rd0.jpg

Thanks,

W

Sponsored Links
Okay, do I assume that you're red line is the lowest part of the concrete, or is it by the house. You have two pipes coming out of the back wall into a drain, so this would be the logical point to feed the surface water in to. Assuming the lowest point is by the house, then you'd use something like this http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clark-Drain-Polypropylene-Channel+Grate-1000mm/p/158852, and just cut a channel, and bed the drains in making sure you've got a very slight fall. If you need to go for the red line, then you just need to turn the drain through 90 degrees to end up by the drain.

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply, ive been away.

I notice on eBay i can pick up a ACO kit for £60-70. My worries lay with the flexibility of the drainage channel. The concrete slopes on either end, therefore the channel will need to have a slight flex in it to match the concrete edge. This could be achieved but i guess it would put stress onto the joints.

Sponsored Links
Only you know the exactly how the concrete lies, but it's best to keep the channel straight so the water drains away, so you'd then cut the channel wider, and then slope it down into the channel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back