Charging 4x 12v 7.2amp in serious 48v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4x 12v 7.2 batteries which I'm going to put into serious = 48volts to run a electric wheel on a bike, I'm wondering what amps I should be putting into them I don't want to destroy them ?

Sponsored Links
The charging current will depend on what type of battery they are. Best is to look at the manufacturer's data sheet for recommended charging currents / durations.

It would not be a good idea to series charge 4 batteries unless they are all the same type and have had similar histories of charge and dis-charge cycles.

I must admit that when I saw the topic title in the list I thought "what on earth does 'serious 48V' mean?

screenshot_743.jpg

screenshot_744.jpg

It would not be a good idea to series charge 4 batteries unless they are all the same type and have had similar histories of charge and dis-charge cycles.
It might not be a good idea to do it at all.

http://www.battcon.com/papersfinal2004/symonspaper2004.pdf

It might not be a good idea to do it at all. http://www.battcon.com/papersfinal2004/symonspaper2004.pdf
I don't doubt that everything that article says is true, but one mustn't forget that if one charges a 12V lead-acid battery, one is charging 6 lead-acid cells in series - with all the problems that potentially results in if one or more of the cells has 'become different' from the rest.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I didn't closely read all of the article, but I think the point is that 24 cells in series might be a DKOF to 6....

I didn't closely read all of the article, but I think the point is that 24 cells in series might be a DKOF to 6....
I haven't read it very fully, either, but I think what you say is true. However, my point was that there is still a potential problem (which many of us have experienced) even with just 6 cells in series.

Kind Regards, John

And maybe with a 12V battery there is a much better guarantee that each of the 6 cells will be in the same condition?

And "better guarantee" is not equivalent to "more likely", or "a higher probability", why, exactly?

And "better guarantee" is not equivalent to "more likely", or "a higher probability", why, exactly?
Well, apart from the fact that they are different parts of speech, because the latter two are quantitative, whereas the former is dichotomous. Just as one is either pregnant or not, one can either "guarantee" something or not - the concept of "to better guarantee" is a contradiction in terms. If one has already 'guaranteed' something, how can that be 'bettered'?

Kind Regards, John

Given up on the 3 pole 48v charging lead then? Another one for you to think about- if your '12v' batteries are lead-acid then they are actually 13.8 volt. If they're always discharging in series then yes you can charge them in series, sensible maximum current is going to be about 5 amps but any decent charger is going to self-limit. Where you are going to find a 55.2 volt charger I have no idea- try golf buggy suppliers? Or even the manufacturer of your mobility scooter thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back