Charging for Lunch break

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guyz
I wonder if anyone who does industrial work can offer there opinion,
I do a lot of work for Utility companies and Large companies,
one of them who we have dealt with for years, has just asked about why we charge for lunch breaks.
Our guyz start at 8am and finish at 4.30pm, and we bill them for 8.5hrs a day, we have always done it that way, is it the norm, or do they have a point and we need to look at it
i isn't a problem, they are just asking for now
many thanks
Al

Sponsored Links
Because the guys are entitled to have a break during the time they are working.

It may be different if the guys are self-employed and do not get paid for the break times

I agree m8, BUT am I entilted to chagre them for that break, thats the important bit, if I am entilted to by law I will
Best regards
Al

dont think i have ever been paid for lunch time.

come to think of it neither does Mrs Breezer, she works from 10- 6 which is 8 hours, but gets paid a 35 hour week

Sponsored Links
While working at Utility and other large companies, i have engaged and employed various contractor and irregular staff. The permies at your clients probably get paid for a 37.5 hour week which is 8:30 to 17:00 less lunches, or equivalent. All but the most junior ones will be expected to put in a bit of extra time without extra pay, the middle and higher ones will not be eligible for overtime payments anyway. Whoever is signing the timesheets or scrutinising the invoices will probably be put out by the thought that someone else is (trying to) get a better deal.

I would not consider it usual to charge for tea and lunch breaks. If your charging rate is per hour you should expect that to be challenged.

However, if you were to charge by the day, then the daily rate would only be challenged if people started late or finished early, since you could define the working day as "x hrs with x mins lunch and x mins refreshment breaks".

If you (or your guys) are PAYE then they are entitled to paid breaks and so your charges to the client would include this.

If your guys are subbing to you, then I presume that you would not be paying them for breaks and so not entilted to charge the client for them. If you are paying them for breaks, then you can pass the charges on

If you are contracted for a days work (irrespective if charged hourly) then its reasonable to charge for the whole day - which will also include legitimate breaktimes

It seems like some cost cutting is coming though. :rolleyes:

if the guys ar PAYE they get paid for their morning/afternoon tea breaks so you charge it out, but how much do you pay them for their 8-4.30 shift(8.5hrs) they usually get 8hrs money for this as you don't pay them for their break so you shouldn't charge for it, why should a customer pay for a lunch break, most people don't get paid for their lunch either

If you (or your guys) are PAYE then they are entitled to paid breaks and so your charges to the client would include this.
And where did you dream that up from Woody? :LOL:

The law says that you are entitled to a 20 minute break if working for 6 hours or more, this is normally dealt with by lunch breaks.

This break is not supposed to be at the end of the 6 hours but during it.

There is no requirement on the employer to pay you for this period. (unless it is in your contract of employment).

However, it is common for workers etc to be allowed 10 minute paid breaks morning & afternoon, however lunch breaks are not paid time.

See here for further information.

Anyone that is charging a customer for their lunch break is IMO ripping them off.

We are not talking about the law on rest times (unless I am dreaming) but rather, we are talking about whether a contractor can charge the client for his employees break times.

So, if a contractor is paying his guys for their breaks, then that is a legitimate charge to pass on to the client.

It not ripping people off when you are having normal rest periods during a days work.

It may have been the case in the pits and mills of Lancashire in the 1890's to work the kids to death and pay them as little as possible, but we have moved on since then :rolleyes:

Hey woody its still the case here in deepest Lancashire,we still have chimney sweeps,my best mate sooty is a gud'un only 13 years old happy with his £12.00 a day plus 3%pension rekons he'll be rich when he retires/dies at 65.
Sootys mate :eek: :( :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How quaint!

All together now ......

# Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
When you're with a sweep
You're in glad company

Though I'm covered with soot
From me 'ead to me toes
A sweep knows 'e's welcome
Wherever 'e goes

No where is there
A more 'appier crew
Than them wot sings
"Chim chim cher-ee
Chim cher-oo!"
On the chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee
Chim cher-oo! #

Futher,dont know if you know bout football,but at BURNLEY,they sing chim,chim,chimery ar ru,we are the ba*****s in claret n blue etc. i obviously dont join in to this!!! :LOL: :LOL:

The OP said
why we charge for lunch breaks.

Lunch breaks was what was asked about, not rest breaks/brew times.

If the employee is paid for his rest breaks by his employer (by virtue of his contract) then its only fair to pass that on, but not for lunch breaks as the employee will not be paid for them (we never are. :( ).
(slight assumption that they are not, but I bet its correct) :D

Being PAYE has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I think that the OP needs to look again at what they are charging for.
As great as it might have been to charge for the whole day if the workmen are not working the whole time through (not including rest breaks) then IMO its wrong to charge for the lunch breaks taken.

Sponsored Links
Back