Charging issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a uniden bearcat scanner

I moved house a couple of months ago, but cant find the charge for it. I have tried all manner of chargers, but the radio only lasts for 3-4 hours, then dies on me.

The battery inside is a rechargeable Nickel-Metal Hybride recharge battery, DC 4.8V, 1500mAh. The hole on the side of the radio where the charge goes in has "12v 500mAh printed on it.

Question is, when i am looking for a charge to charge this up, what should it say on the sticker on the charger?? If that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
what would happen with a charger that says 12v 400mha?

It isn't big enough.
You need a 12v 0.5A PSU minimum by the sounds of it. Is there also a pic there of the polarity?

Sponsored Links
"Is there also a pic there of the polarity"

you mean a circle with a + connected to a smaller filled circle enclosed in an almost complete circle, connected to a cirlce with a - sign.

Cheers

Yep, you need a DC centre pin positive 12v 500mA (or 0.5A) minimum psu.

bugger, all my charge are 400 with opposite polaritys!!

I have a spare DC switching power supply. It is dual polarity. Variable voltage 1.5v to 12.0v. 1.2amp. Send me a message and we can see if we can do a deal.

Thanks for the link to maplin.

It says it "Maximum output current is 1200mA"

ON the radio it says its 500mAh.

I take it it doesnt matter, as long as its above 500???

Cheers hope to order this tonight.

As long as it is a regulated power supply having the maximum current of the power supply higher than the current required by the device is fine.

You have to be carefull with unregulated power supplies though, they can give out far higher than thier rated voltage under low load conditions. So when in doubt stick to regulated power supplies like the one breezer linked.

Your right.....in this case size does matter....bigger is better:cool:

Guys, cant thank you enough, starting to miss the old scanner, although the misses isn't!!

Many thanks to all!!!

Sorry guys - you cannot use a straight PSU to recharge NiMH batteries - you must use a proper charger.

That is true but given that the input jack on the scanner is labeled as a straight DC input and with a voltage much higher than that of the battery pack I think it is reasonable to assume that the charge control circitry is part of the device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back