Chased cable for replacement bathroom cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I didn't plan a job correctly when attempting to replace an existing light/shaver-socket with a powered bathroom cabinet. The old unit was fitted directly over a cable emerging from the wall.

The new cabinet has a length of flex emerging from it's back panel, and because the top of the new cabinet was below the level of the old unit I thought I needed to fit a front plate with flex outlet to accommodate the cabinet flex, and have chiseled out space for a single-gang 25mm back box into the breeze block wall.

However, I now realize that the cabinet flex needs to attach to a cable emerging from the wall directly behind the cabinet (the cabinet itself sits flush against the wall so it is not possible to run the cable up to the new front plate). Perhaps what I should have done is simply chase the existing cable down about 10cm and then made good the plaster work, but the existing cable is not long enough to do this anyway.

There are a number possible of solutions to this, but being a family bathroom I am not prepared to cut any corners (including any modification of the bathroom cabinet itself).

Maybe I should fit a blank plate over the new mounting box, and use the box to house a connector to an additional length of cable which is then chased into the wall to the appropriate location? However, this still leaves me with the problem of safely connecting the cables behind the cabinet.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Chase down to the correct position on the back of the cabinet.

Extend the existing cable in the wall (probably 1mm T&E), and crimp it to the existing cable, then shrink wrap it or use self amalgamating tape.

This can then be buried.

Remove the cable from the cabinet (probably flex), and bring the T&E into the cabinet, and terminate it into the connector block or directly into the transformer depending on design. Remember to sheath the earth on the T&E.

Job done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back