Under cabinet kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm planning my kitchen under cabinet lighting. I will have three wall cabinets in the kitchen, all apart from each other. About 10 feet between two of them and another 8 feet to the third, which is the other side of the doorway. I plan to chase the switch cable up the wall and into the eaves where all the connections will be made.

In order to run the cables to the relevant under counter lights, ideally I'd like to chase the cables into the plaster so you don't see them. However if I was to chase the cables down the wall to the relevant wall cabinet, how do you 'access' them if that makes sense! Obviously cable into a light switch or a socket emerges into a metal back box or similar, but with this situation there won't be any such box, I just want them to 'come out' from the wall and then wire into the light. I was trying to make sense of the rules and i'm not sure that you can do this? Also how do you make it look neat?

The alternative seems to be some sort of mini trunking, which obviously will show. How else could I do it?

The 10 ft distance between the cabinets is fairly simple, I was thinking of running some trunking between the two (behind the base units just above skirting board level so you wouldn't see it).

Sponsored Links
In order to run the cables to the relevant under counter lights, ideally I'd like to chase the cables into the plaster so you don't see them. However if I was to chase the cables down the wall to the relevant wall cabinet, how do you 'access' them if that makes sense! Obviously cable into a light switch or a socket emerges into a metal back box or similar, but with this situation there won't be any such box, I just want them to 'come out' from the wall and then wire into the light. I was trying to make sense of the rules and i'm not sure that you can do this? Also how do you make it look neat?
If you cannot access the cable ends, it would be impossible to terminate them to your lights.
I just want them to 'come out' from the wall and then wire into the light
The light fitting will be reference point for safe zones, you do not require back boxes to terminate lights to.
What type of lights, will the require transformers?
You need to install cables in permitted zones or they require mechanical protection (not capping)
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
Also as cables are buried it would be likely that RCD protecction would be required, unless mechanically protected or buried within wall over 50mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back