Chasing Copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just ran some pipe down the wall, where the new sink etc will go. Should the pipes coming down the wall be chased in (15mm) or will a thicker dot and dab bring it out far enough to conceal the pipe?

Sponsored Links
we sometimes stop the d&d plasterboard either side of the pipe and then fill in the 'chase' with some bonding or dabbing compound. then skim as normal.

i would chase it into the all about 5mm, then put the dot and dab over it, i usually allow 12mm for the dab adhesive.

if the pipe is going to heat up and cool down i wouldn't put anything that wasn't solid over it, i would have thought that would crack.

sanj.varah said:
if the pipe is going to heat up and cool down i wouldn't put anything that wasn't solid over it, i would have thought that would crack.

excellent point sanj.

Sponsored Links
In my own kitchen and in some bathrooms (obviously after discussing with the client) I've done recently I've done as noseall suggests, stopping the edge of the board either side of the pipework. Then, rather than filling the void, I've simply tiled over the recess (or in other peoples bathrooms I've left it for the bathroom fitter / tiler to tile over).

That way there's no need to worry about cracking if the pipes are heating and cooling. It also gives easier access in the event that the pipes should need to be accessed at any point in the future.

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back