Chasing for tv cables on chimney breast to alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to mount a tv on the chimney breast, with a spurred socket behind. I’ve worked out the route for that albeit a lot of chasing but without lifting the floor probably the only option.

I’ve read I can’t have the hdmis and tv aerial and potentially ethernet with the socket cables. So I need to create a separate channel/chase to the alcove. I’ve attached an image that shows a potential way, with the white line being the trunking in the wall between brushed faceplates. But the route it would have to take will probably mean no altering in the future even though in trunking which isn’t what I was hoping for.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 81BAB86D-1DB3-484E-A077-208682F8F01E.jpeg
    81BAB86D-1DB3-484E-A077-208682F8F01E.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 911
  • 632AC52C-4C57-4F0A-B1CE-47487172F3E8.jpeg
    632AC52C-4C57-4F0A-B1CE-47487172F3E8.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 802
Sponsored Links
is there going to be a fire in the hearth? if yes not a good idea to have a tv above it.

81BAB86D-1DB3-484E-A077-208682F8F01E.jpeg

I would use the route i have marked on your diagram with a sunken box with back cut off and blank plate at point A and a hole drilled at an angle to meet point A and the brush plate behind the Tv then you could alter cabling in the future. the mains could follow a similiar route as I marked

Sponsored Links
View attachment 266578

I would use the route i have marked on your diagram with a sunken box with back cut off and blank plate at point A and a hole drilled at an angle to meet point A and the brush plate behind the Tv then you could alter cabling in the future. the mains could follow a similiar route as I marked

How come the blanking plate? And if drilling at the angle to cut out going round the external corner, how would I get it so that I could make alterations in the future? I don’t know if I’m misunderstanding but are you still thinking trunking with the new line you drew?

also for the socket adjustment (red line on my drawing) I like the idea but don’t think that would be within cabling zones.

the blanking plate would cover the hole that allows cables to change direction from up/down to left/right and would allow changes in future. the change of power route is effectively what you intend to do but in a different position.

could you run cables to the inside of the fireplace then up?

the blanking plate would cover the hole that allows cables to change direction from up/down to left/right and would allow changes in future. the change of power route is effectively what you intend to do but in a different position.

could you run cables to the inside of the fireplace then up?

ah ok so the blanking plate can be taking off and being as it’s the same height as the brushed faceplate on the chimney face behind the tv it will allow pulling or pushing cables. I like the idea. But from your drawing it seems like you’re coring an angle straight through the brick, which wouldn’t really work with 4/5 tv cables.

the power you drew from the side of the breast going up and then across I don’t think would work with cables zones as the horizontal line isn’t matching up to any outlet on the that wall, only the tv wall.

With this, the trunking would have to go round the wall angle but because of the height and distance I think it would allow for cables to be moved between blanking plate and then the brushed outlets. So long as I can get a trunking which has a bend in and is of a applicable an ok size.

the power for the socket I’m unsure on how it could be routed though.

Attachments

• DA9BBF06-03F6-4ED6-8AD0-D83A007D0692.jpeg
    DA9BBF06-03F6-4ED6-8AD0-D83A007D0692.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
150mm from an internal or external corner is within the cable zones, as is cables in line with accessory boxes either horizontally or vertically.

There are no cable zones for SELV cables or things like aerial cables,but it makes sense to run them in the same way to lessen the risk of damage.

150mm from an internal or external corner is within the cable zones, as is cables in line with accessory boxes either horizontally or vertically.

There are no cable zones for SELV cables or things like aerial cables,but it makes sense to run them in the same way to lessen the risk of damage.

So the lines for the power in the photo mentioned wouldn’t work because where it goes horizontally it isn’t directly inline with something on the same wall

are the blue squares sockets? I suppose technically the chimney breast is the "same wall" so power in line with the front socket and in line with the mid height socket. there is never an easy way to do as you are suggesting
But from your drawing it seems like you’re coring an angle straight through the brick, which wouldn’t really work with 4/5 tv cables.
if you can drill a large hole through from front to side it is probably better than chasing out a large trench for trunking

I didn't describe it very well.

Within 150mm from each side of a corner (internal or external vertically or horizontally between ceiling and wall) cables can be run without the need to have an accessory box in line with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back