Power to upstairs. Which bit of zone to chase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I chase this wall, any opinions on which bit of the safe zone to use for the chase to run the cables the upstairs.

The chase will contain the upstairs ring, both lighting circuits, and fire alarm.

My preference would be the left hand channel against the chimney breast, as no one is likely to bang a picture hook in there (or mount a tv bracket), but that will to make it more awkward upstairs due to th need to drill joists.

The other option is to run them through the socket backboxes (which could be deep sockets). I don't think is explicitly disallowed, and would make things a lot easier.

I'm new to this, so what would people typically do? Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
The regulations for permitted safe zones of vertical buried cable is as per link: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

I recall that BS7671 indicates that cables routed between accessories, must be electrical connected to that circuit, although I will admit that if routing a cable through a backbox where an accessory plate is visible and following the permitted routes, it could be argued that it is located in a safe zone.
But if not electrically connected, my understanding/interpretation would mean it was a non-compliance.

Remember that chase need to meet building regulations of no greater than 1/3rd depth of skin/leaf of wall on the vertical and 1/6th on the horizontal.

Also cables of differing voltages cannot be run together, unless the cables insulation is rated for all circuits at the highest voltage present.

But if not electrically connected, my understanding/interpretation would mean it was a non-compliance.

That's it. They won't be electrically connected, for sure. Also, now I think about it, if you were running a 45A cooker through a 16A spur socket and a fault occured, the CPC of the 16A spur attached to the backbox wouldn't be up to much...

Cheers for the reply :)

Sponsored Links
Requirement 522.6101 (v)
States where cable is connected to a point, accessory or switch gear.
So I say if routed through it is not connected.
If it were my installation, I would route cables in either corners of the recess, taking in to consideration the extended routing of cable once in floor above and the potential of mechanical damage from the reverse side and adjoining walls and the likelihood off shelves, pictures being hung.
You could always use flexishield/Ali-Tube but TBH it is more likely that a picture would be hung central of the recess, so cables in corners would be best option anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back