Chasing in soil pipe to internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a late Victorian terraced house in London. There is boxed in soil pipe on the landing which comes from an ensuite bathroom. A builder has told me he can chase this into the internal wall - between us and our neighbours.

He said (and I believe) the wall the be 9" thick and the soil pipe is 4" diameter. He told me this could be done using lintels over the recess for the pipe but I am unsure. I would have thought that, as a supporting wall, it is unsafe to make a 3 metre long channel in it.

Can anyone offer any advice please? Is this possible? Is it a good/bad idea? Would I need building control/regulations? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Bad idea but possible.
Definately need blg regs
Def need to comply with Party Wall Act.

The chance of anybody doing this without causing at least minor plasterwork damage to next door is virtually nill.

Unbelievably B A D idea :eek: :eek: Read my lips ;) S A N I F L O W is what you want :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the posts - seems it is a bad idea as I suspected.

I did think about Saniflow but I have suggested it to a few people as a possible solution and they have all warned againt them saying they are nothing but trouble....

learn to live with the boxed in pipe.

best solution all round

Saniflo are ok and reliable untill something solid is flushed - which will block them.

Even the model they advertize as being able to handle sanitary towels block on occasion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back