Is this a soil pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again all,

Been doing more digging for the foundations of a garage today and i came accross a pipe that seems to be like a soil pipe. The part I have exposed appears to be a previous repair or something because I was able to pull the pipe out from each end, see pics. The part I have removed is 3inch external diameter and 2.5inch internal diameter. Seems a bit small to me. It looks wet in the pic but that is from standing rain water around the trench. The inside of the pipe is dry and there is no foul smell at all.

The pipe does not run in line with any drains from mine or my neighbours houses, infact it runs towards the trench on the other side however i did not find the other end in that end. Is it possible this is an old unused soil pipe or some kind of drainage pipe? The house was built in the 1930's

10092009209.jpg

10092009210.jpg

Pippo

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply marshman.

Our street is a hill and we are kinda 3/4 up it and the soil can get rather damp when its been raining so that would make sense i guess. Will this extend to a proper drain or does it just terminate in the ground somewhere? Not sure what I should do with it.

Pippo

Hi,

first of all sorry to bring this back up. I have now completed excavating the foundations and plan on getting the concrete poured soon. The land drain is obviously still doing its job as after a few days there is some water in the trench from it.

What is the best thing to do with this? its at the bottom of the trench and will have 400mm wide and 450mm deep concrete poured on top of it. Would it be ok to dig back a little into the trench sides to expose more of the pipe and replace a section with plastic pipe? Im hoping that will allow the drainage to flow through without soaking the foundations when they are poured. But will plastic pipe be ok with the weight of the concrete on top?

Cheers

Pippo

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall

Will plastic stuff be ok in the concrete ?

Pippo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back