Soil Pipe and new Extension foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi newbie here, I have joined this forum because of all the research and web searches I have done I always end up here. So thanks for all the posts and good advice that has gone before.

I am in the process of digging the ground and foundations for my conservatory and I have run into a slight problem. There is a soil pipe that exits from under the house right in the middle of where the foundation will sit. I have considered moving the pipe, however, I think that will be difficult.

Is it possible to leave this pipe where it is and build it into the foundation in the same way as a pipe crossing the foundation at 90 degrees? i.e. concrete under the pipe and then shutter and lintel?
The images show the rain water pipe which I will move and below this the soil pipe. As you can see the angle of exit from the foundation is shallow so maybe a steel could be used across the length of the pipe with good concrete footings at each end.
Your advice please.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for putting this post in the 'Projects' section, but shouldn't it live in the building section as it is about foundations and not plumbing? Thanks, Lee.

Your saving grace is that the pipe is very shallow. Therefore, the top of your foundation concrete should be well below the pipe (if you build correctly).

It may involve a wee bit of lintelling and faffing with the brick-work but it should be doable.

I am intending on trench fill 1m below ground level to 150mm below. The top of the pipe where it exits the house is 250mm below ground, and 500mm where it exits the intended foundation. This would mean it will live in the foundation and not on top.

So what are my options?

1. Make the foundation wider at this point so the pipe exits perpendicular to the foundation. Shutter the pipe and build piers up either side, possibly reinforce with vertical rebar and lintel on top.

2. Have a shallower trench (i.e. the depth of the concrete, not the trench) and then build up with blockwork and lintels to 150mm below ground. I think this is what your are getting at noseall; sounds a lot simpler.

Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
3. Wrap the pipe in insulation and place n section re-bar at intervals along the pipe's length and then tie more re-bar along the length of it. With vertical re-bar into the base of the footing and tie to the lengths of re-bar on the pipe to add additional support/weight transfer. And then a single pour to 150mm below ground level.

Think you're right noseall, the simplest answer is often the best. If I get it wrong in the foundation ... lets not go there. More work for the brickie or I could do it myself, won't look good but will be solid and out of sight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back