Chasing walls...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting somewhere towards organising the day of reckoning, but a question on practicalities...

I was considering hiring a wall chaser (with dust extraction), but having never experienced using one and the amount of dust it "might" create, is this the best option and will it be best to ship the wife off shopping for the day??

Sponsored Links
Have never come across a power tool with dust extraction that works properly. Better get the air filter masks out! :(

Never used a chasing tool like that, and I have never encountered any power tool which, when applied to brick/stone/aircrete/plaster/mortar/etc does not create huge amounts of dust.

I'd send SWMBO to her mother's for the weekend, if I were you, and seal as many rooms as possible with gaffer tape.

BTW - that Bosch doesn't cut deep enough, IMHO.

Ban's absolutely right. I never use grinders or wall chasers in inhabited houses; it's amazing where all that fine dust can end up. But if you're going to go for it completely clear the room you're chasing, seal up the doors, open the windows and close/seal all windows and doors in other rooms. And for gawd's sake warn the neighbours before you start!!! It's not a good idea to do it on a dry, sunny day - best when it's raining. That way the escaping dust is stopped from spreading far and wide and nobody calls the fire brigade thinking it's billowing smoke!

And use a good mask - for preference a fully enclosed respirator, rather than a cloggable filter mask.

You might be better off with a rotary stop SDS-plus drill with chisel bits. In fact, if your house is old enough you might even get most of the plaster off with a Stanley knife. ;)

Sponsored Links
funkydiver said:
We're getting somewhere towards organising the day of reckoning, but a question on practicalities...

I was considering hiring a wall chaser (with dust extraction), but having never experienced using one and the amount of dust it "might" create, is this the best option and will it be best to ship the wife off shopping for the day??

May be this is not the best idea, but it might work; try using a hoover while chasing, using the extended pipe. if you do it on your own it would be useful to attach the pipe so you can aim it to the area you are working at (tripod? or a self made support). If you can get someone to help you, get him a good mask, gloves...Good luck ;)
Albert

dingbat said:
And use a good mask - for preference a fully enclosed respirator, rather than a cloggable filter mask.

Yes because when they clog completely you suddenly wonder where 'all the air went', which can be a tad traumatic. :confused:
If you do use a hoover make sure it's not the missus's one, she won't be happy if you do, trust me. :LOL:

dingbat said:
You might be better off with a rotary stop SDS-plus drill with chisel bits. In fact, if your house is old enough you might even get most of the plaster off with a Stanley knife. ;)

Well, it is about 200 years old, so the stanley knife might be an option. It's one of those jobs that HAS to be done IMHO, the wife thinks a bakelight CU is OK... but as I've identified in another post, the four fuses serving the whole house, including electric cooker and shower are just not my cup of tea. I've also done a bit of questioning with the bloke who owns it at the mo' (a builder by trade) and cross bonding in that house is some form of relationship excercise on a weekend...

My dilema grows...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back