Chasing Concrete

Well - no, actually, I don't.

Assuming the walls are plastered, the chases wouldn't need to be very deep at all, certainly not enough to cause structural problems or hit rebar.

Messy though, and 40-year old concrete will be hard...
What depth boxes do you use for cooker/shower switches then? I would have thought you needed a 50mm chase for 10mm cable into a 47 mm box. I was thinking about the worst case scenario, as hairyben says I would not have expected to see more than a skim of plaster.

Sponsored Links
One thing to consider...
- Is it cavity wall or solid?
- Can the cavity wall be insulated?

If you can't get CWI done, then now is the perfect time to board out the rooms with celotex/kingspan backed plasterboard. That makes wiring much easier (depth) - and the house will warm up very quickly.

Having CWI gives you the thermal mass of the bricks - slow warm up, but slow heat loss. CWI is cheap (£198 from B&Q?), but if you can't CWI then internal insulation is a must - energy prices will trend higher over the next 7yrs and the payback will be very real. Roof 25-30%, Walls 30-35% which will be even higher depending on their exact construction.

Keep all socket backboxes to 35mm and lights to 25mm re dimmers. Yes you can get away with 25mm & 16mm, but it is not worth it - board it.

I would not chase concrete, you may find the rebar is close to the surface and you will probably run into problems re BR "A" re chase depth. DO speak with the BCO because otherwise you may create a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back