Chasing - Do's and Dont's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Going to be moving some cables around....

Just need some advise on chasing, what I can and can't do. The kitchen is an extension of the back of an old council house. There is no access to the roof space, unless I pull the ceiling down which is a no. The floor is concrete.

The pictures show what I want to move...

The old cooker switch A, I want to move to B and then spur of a 13A FCU to C.

Where would I chase the cabels? Can I go sideways? was either thinking chasing out towards the top of the wall where no-one will drill and then go down to where I need it or at a height that would behind the base units and then go up to where I need it?

Thanks

DSCF6752.jpg

DSCF6753.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are what is known as safe zones, BUT what you are doing comes under
"PART P" of the building regulations so you really need to get a registered electrician in . If you have not notified your local building control you are breaking the law.

Sponsored Links
lets say....I had permission from LA or my bro-in-law was doing the installation....now can you help?

lets say....I had permission from LA or my bro-in-law was doing the installation....now can you help?

IF you had permission from LA or your bro-in-law was doing the installation you wouldn't need any help.

This started as installing a small oven on a circuit which was already there.

Now you are redesigning a kitchen and have to ask everything, so, obviously, should not be doing it without knowledgeable assistance -
in person, not here.

If your brother-in-law won't help, what impression do you think that gives us?

lets say....I had permission from LA
Then I would ask what you said would be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P when you submitted your application for approval.

or my bro-in-law was doing the installation
Then it would be pointed out that as your b-i-l will be signing documents to say that he did all of the work it would be wrong of you to present him with your work and expect him to take responsibility for it.

....now can you help?
No, we actually can't. This is too big a job for you to do just by asking here about whatever you happen to think you need to know about.

Either pay your b-i-l to do the job properly, or pay another electrician.

If your brother-in-law won't help, what impression do you think that gives us?
That he's a sound and conscientious guy who also realises that a job of this nature should not be attempted by someone who isn't fully clued up and is trying to get by by asking ad-hoc questions as he goes?

Take the ceiling down. It'll be far easier. To reinstate would be half day and maybe £150 for a spread - small change for a typical kitchen refurb.

As there appear to be hardly any sockets or other electrical fittings in the kitchen, it will almost certainly be quicker, easier and cheaper to scrap what is there and just run in new circuits where needed.

As flameport says, rip it all out and put all new in, after all its a new kitchen refurb so why not have new electrics, things look sparse there and nothing will be where you want it, you'll spend so long messing around relocating old crap that it would be quicker, also the ceiling will be better coming down for the sake of some plasterboards and a couple of hours of a spreads time.

As flameport says, rip it all out and put all new in, after all its a new kitchen refurb so why not have new electrics, things look sparse there and nothing will be where you want it, you'll spend so long messing around relocating old crap that it would be quicker, also the ceiling will be better coming down for the sake of some plasterboards and a couple of hours of a spreads time.

Thanks for your help.....its nice to see someone giving some friendly advice and not quoting the hell out of the standards bible!!

oh....some of the ceiling is coming down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back