Cheap CCTV that saves to drive?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked a while back, but the number of options blew my mind.

Any recommendations for a cheap CCTV system, just one or two cameras, that saves to a local HDD for viewing on TV / file transfer via USB etc.?

Ideally, don't want to spend more than £200.
Live in a bungalow, so DIY option should be easy enough. Also, I have an electric cable outside already, that was being used to power a garage, but now is not used (ends in a junction box under the soffit), and could send cables into the loft from there too.

I guess I want HD quality, but really it would be there for a deterrent rather than hoping to actually ID somebody. Does anybody actually use CCTV to ID a burglar after an event?

Sponsored Links
The one at this link worked for me straight out of the box...good price too IMHO. The android app seems to work okay for remote viewing. Not tried copying to USB yet.
ZOSI 4 Camera 1080p 1TB HD

The power cable is paired with the video cable, so I've got the AC/DC power block for the cameras and the supplied 4-way splitter alongside the HD recorder and its identical AC/DC block.
Your external power therefore may or may not be relevant.

It's been in a couple of weeks, so no serious weather test. The dome cameras sit nicely under the soffit (also a bungalow BTW).
As the cable assemblies are pre-made I used a 25mm panel hole cutter for the soffits, and a BFG-stylee SDS drill bit for one wall-mounted camera. There are no exposed cables outside, so it all looks neat and tidy.

Basically for me at that price it was a good starter pack, to experiment and see what coverage it gives and how it performs in various conditions.

that does look like a nice little system - 4 1080p cameras too.
Have you checked recordings etc yet? Everything being saved? Any idea how many days it will save video for before being overwritten?

Sponsored Links
For gods sakes don't buy any of the Random cheap cctv systems when you can get a quality hikvision DVR for next to nothing , you will only end up with no support and iffy apps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back