Cheap mitre saw - hand or electric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried cutting the mitres in my kitchen trim using a plastic mitre box from B&Q and it's hopeless, I need a proper tool.
My local shop has a Draper hand mitre saw for £22, or there's electric ones at Screwfix, B&Q and Wickes for about £50.
Which will give me a better result with minimum practice? I don't have that much to do, so don't mind the extra effort of a hand saw, but another post on this forum said cheap hand jobs :eek: are hopeless. Am I better off with a cheap lekky one? It won't have much to do, so doesn't need to be powerful or long lasting - it just needs to cut accurately.

Sponsored Links
the beauty about using a powered saw is the ability to trim off very small amounts of material from the workpiece. ;)

B&Q do a cheap electric mitre saw, it is about £30, for the money it is good value. The angle stops are quite positive. I bought a Rexon electric mitre saw a few years ago and it was pants, I could not get it to cut 90 degrees with any accuracy so it went back, that cost me about £120 and the £30 one is better IMHO.

Sponsored Links
That's a thought. I seem to recall that B&Q will take tools back for a full refund without any agro. I think I'll go buy the £30 one and give it a go, if it's no good I'll sling it back.

I bought paint from B@Q a while ago, opened it and it was like water, some cheaky bliter had obviously used it, filled it back up with water and got a refund, I took it back got a refund, food for thought though, do your cuts, clean the blade and the saw, take it back, get a refund, jobs a good un.

Well I got the £30 one from B&Q. There was even one for £25, but I paid the extra fiver for one with a laser on it. Not had a chance to try it on the real job jet, but after I'd tweaked it a bit it seems pretty good on the test bits. I was tempted to do a chirpychippy and take it back after I'd done the job, but Bilioustrumpstaine's right - for £30 I might as well keep it. Unless of course I find I need a sliding saw for a wider job, then I'll use it as a £30 discount off a bigger saw ;)

I can't believe that they'll even take back paint that's been opened! The worst bit is, I bet they sold the can you took back to someone else :D

True :LOL: But to be fair I have one of these little cheapies and it is standing up to a bit of abuse. I keep it in the van for the occasional cut that I may have to make when out and about. I won't keep my big makita on board in case it gets nicked so it comes out for bigger jobs only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back