Cheapest way to board out a loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What is the cheapest way to board out a loft?

Its just for storage.

Looking for a DIY solution, as cheap as possible, because while this is a rented property and the landlord is easy going with what we do here, he is also tight as anything and wont contribute.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pallets. Lots of 'em.

Seriously though, are you allowed to do things like this to a rented property without the permission of the landlord? He may be easy about it now but he may charge you to put it back as it was when you leave. Get his written permission for any alterations you may make.

No need for concern as far as the landlord goes...he is greedy, and so tight one day this house is going to need some major repairs becuase he refuses to maintain it BUT he's also said he literally does not care what I do to it. Probably because he knows it really cant be any worse than when we first moved in.

Pallets - not a bad idea. Loads free, and I have a van. However, time is also a precious commodity...

Assuming I bought sheet material (tradeoff betweeen cost and time (sourcing, picking up, denailing, etc)) - which would be the cheapest?

Sponsored Links
Chipboard - old wardrobes, kitchen units, whatever will fit up there, I used to have a few of those cardboard filled doors in mine which did the job. If you want to buy new then any sheet material that's 9mm thick or above will do, eg OSB. The main consideration should be the effect of you squashing the insulation (hopefully it has some) which will cost you in heating bills - some sort of elevated platform is the usual route together with reducing the footprint of the boarding - stack your stuff up, don't spread it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back