Cheapest way to fill potholes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are my options for the cheapest method?

IMG_3031.JPG IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3033.JPG IMG_3035.JPG IMG_3036.JPG

Sponsored Links
You want to cut them square then use a wacker to put some decent cold lay into them.

Or if your not too bothered about looks maybe a concrete dyed black would be cheaper.

You want to cut them square then use a wacker to put some decent cold lay into them.

Or if your not too bothered about looks maybe a concrete dyed black would be cheaper.

I'm not even bothered about it being dyed black, to be honest.

Sponsored Links
It will be the cheapest and it will last the shortest. A few weeks, whether ballast, sand or whatever. So a false economy.

A proper job will involve widening the hole, excavating out all the damp, soft, soggy, spongy, hardcore, reinstating hardcore and then if you are doing all this, might nas well do the tarmacing with a base and top coat and sealing the edges.

It will be the cheapest and it will last the shortest. A few weeks, whether ballast, sand or whatever. So a false economy.

IMG_3031.JPG
This bit of concrete was put in over 10 years ago - granted, it's broken up and has failed but if I fill them with concrete and get 5 years out of them then I'd be happy, because I'll have moved house by then!

A proper job will involve widening the hole, excavating out all the damp, soft, soggy, spongy, hardcore, reinstating hardcore and then if you are doing all this, might nas well do the tarmacing with a base and top coat and sealing the edges.

I get that this is the proper way and one that will last. What if I sweep out all the loose material, compact whatever is remaining, part fill with concrete any deep holes and then top of with 20mm of cold lay tarmac?[/QUOTE]

What about pinching a couple of those plastic sheets that the gas/electric/water companies use when digging up the roads and paths?

In reality, you can fill it with concrete or tarmac and that will form a surface. But the things which will determine how long it lasts is whether the base is firm and whether the area collects water - which then either degrades the repair or degrades the tacmac around the repair.

What about pinching a couple of those plastic sheets that the gas/electric/water companies use when digging up the roads and paths?

In reality, you can fill it with concrete or tarmac and that will form a surface. But the things which will determine how long it lasts is whether the base is firm and whether the area collects water - which then either degrades the repair or degrades the tacmac around the repair.

Makes sense.

How many vehicles/houses use the track?

3 houses, I’d say 10 cars but it’s also a rear access to a farm which use it very little apart from harvest time and getting grass in for the cattle but when they use it then it’s literally 12 hours solid with big heavy tractors coming every 10 minutes. It’s the tractors that have caused the damage in my opinion. Further down the lane, which I don’t use, is really bad in comparison.

I don't think the tractors will cause potholes, but there's one section where it looks like the whole side has sunk 3" for a couple of metres, heavy vehicles and poor foundations have probably led to that.

No point doing a complete bodge, with 3 houses it won't last long at all.

The budget option might be a local general builder/contractor supplying a ton or 2 of hot tar. The cold tar in plastic bags is quite expensive.

Will the other people who use the track contribute time or money?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back