Filling potholes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am shortly going to be doing a repair on a shared driveway that has suffered over the years. The tarmac layer has all but disappeared and now there are multiple deep potholes. To save our cars being destroyed I was thinking of using MOT type 1 compacted with a vibrating plate.

Question is, is it worth/advisable/incredibly stupid to mix some cement in to bind the type 1 even more ?

Sponsored Links
Adding some cement, a sprinkle of sharp sand and a dash of aqua will help it a lot, but not whilst the temp's are this low.

You also can do away with a compactor if you are using the above method.

Sponsored Links
You could get decent gear out of say 6 shovels of mot, 2 sharp sand and 1 cement.

This will only be useful for potholes that are deeper than say 40mm. Anything shallower and you would need finer material or another solution.

We have been filling in pot-holes in a few carparks which the guy we work for owns. And the way we filled the holes in was with "post-crete" (I think its called that) its the bags of ready mixed sand cement and quick drying cement that is used for putting around posts.., We just tipped the bags in the holes and raked some water thru it and floated it over .We did this before Christmas and it hasn't broken up and is still solid . These carparks are used daily and have a lot of traffic moving thru them, so it might be worth you having a go with it... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back