check mobile phone signal strength

H

holmslaw

Is there any way of checking mobile phone signal strentgh. All the phone companies claim my address has perfect reception - it does'nt - but there is a mast about half a mile away but I don't know whose it is.

Sponsored Links
some of the old nokia's can if you have the software to enable it.

most people just look to see how many bars they have on the display

mikeyd - give that man a cigar.

Sorted with a couple of clicks - the site showed two masts. Both are about 500 metres from my property and both are owned by orange.

Assuming those distances are not excessive looks like I've got to go orange - thanks again mikeyd

Sponsored Links
Do you have a fixed place of work. If you do, check that postcode out before making your decision, or you could wind up having no mast for miles when at work - if you're really sad you can try out your folks postcodes etc. too, after all how much do you need a mobile when at home?

think i might be able to help you. Im a mobile telecoms field engineer, and have some software which will tell you your RX levels in DB's. It updates live so you can walk around with it on your phone screen and it will tell you what level of RX strength you have in your house / wherever.

what phone(s) you got?

Im at the office tomorrow. Ill get the SW and the userguide.

I am not 100% sure what phones it works on.

I currently have it on my 6680, N95, SPV3100, and Tytn 2. So it must work on a few platforms. Not 100% sure what its called. I call it ladybug, as it shows on my phone as a lady bug icon.

(By the way, the number of bars displayed on the screen isnt actually accurate.... at all. You could have full bars and be at -95dbm, which is bad)

I currently have it on my 6680, N95, SPV3100, and Tytn 2. So it must work on a few platforms. Not 100% sure what its called. I call it ladybug, as it shows on my phone as a lady bug icon.

(By the way, the number of bars displayed on the screen isnt actually accurate.... at all. You could have full bars and be at -95dbm, which is bad)

this is carrier specific ?

this is carrier specific ?

No its not carrier specific. It basically picks up the signal strength whether your locked to GSM or WCDMA. You have to be locked to one or the other though as it wont work if you have your mobile device set to Dual or Auto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back